1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skin tones on the xde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BIGMAX, Mar 22, 2005.

1. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm noticing some un-natural skin tones with the 435 xde. I was wondering whether this settles down after the 200 hour run in or are there particular settings that can be altered to improve. I watched the same channel on both sky + and freeview and the freeview seemed better with regard to skin tone.

2. mattboyslim

mattboyslim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can I just ask have you watched an footy on your XDE and if so is it any good? Also are you happy with it apart from the problems with skin tone?!

Matt

3. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Footy is good mostly. The only gripe is the pitch sometimes looks a bit digitised but it's not too bad. Its a lot better than I was expecting. I am hopeful that along with the skin tones which sometimes show the same digitised appearance it settles down once the tv has run in a bit. The tv is practically brand new so we will see. Overall though most of the viewing has been excellent and it does depend on what channels you watch as I watched some rugby on bbc1 through sky on saturday and none of the above mentioned problems were visible at all.

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Well there is variation due to different channels bandwidth and resolution used... and yes quite a few people prefer the picture on Freeview...
    However, it is worth checking your settings. Are there the same for Sky and Freeview? Same input? or having the same settings on two different inputs?
    Both connected through RGB? or different?

5. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Costas,

I am currently using the same user picture settings for sky and freeview, the sky is connected to the MR through RGB scart and I havn't really checked the details on freeview as i just plugged the aerial in and set up the channels as I havn't really needed to watch as sky is the usual.

The skin tone thing only really got my attention when the wife commented that some faces looked a bit cartoon like. I think this is a trait with this particular screen and we must get used to it. Like you said it depends on the different channels and bandwidth used etc as I have gone days without this "skin tone" arising.

But if there is any advice out there to keep as good as possible then I would be grateful.

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Big Max,

Just make sure the MPEG NR and DNR picture parameters are set to off (if not already). I find it helps a little although my main reason for having these off is because I prefer the natural clean and sharp image as opposed to the the clear digitally enhanced processed images through these parameters which remove noise but also take away detail and definition!

Equally I would leave CTI on.... hard to see the difference on this one but perhaps you can spot that contours are better with this on.

7. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Costas,

Do you get the weird skin tone thing on your tv ( i presume its the 435 xde)or has it got better with time or is it just the norm?

8. jascott

jascott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 435 XDE for three months, and have had it calibrated recently. I have no problems with skin tones except on news 24, where the presenters always look "overmade up". However, when they switch to an outside interview the person always looks very natural, so it's probably peculiar to that studio.

I have to say that I find the picture outstanding. DVD is of course excellent but Freeview and Sky are very good. I don't watch much football, but I've never noticed any problems.

Jim

9. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its perfectly normal for in-studio presenters to look over made-up. They have quite extreme lighting in the studios and the presenters always wear masses of make-up anyway.

skin tones are very very difficult to get right, and the only way you're going to see really good skin tones is if you have your screen properly calibrated. I have a Pioneer 504 myself and ISF calibration made a massive difference. My Pio was way overbright when I received it. If you've spent 3 grand on a screen, you really should spare 200 or so for a proper calibration to get the best out of the screen.

Cheers,
    Mat

10. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    BigMax,

Actually I have the 434HDE (and had the 433 before that..). There is practically no visible difference to the 435XDE except the fact that you have an integrated digital freeview tuner in the MR of the 435.

Yes the performance overall got better after the first 500 hours and yes there will always be something a little different or strange on skin tones under studio bright lights and lot of make up!

However I fully support the view that ISF calibration does make a difference in these screens. You may be able like in my case to set up well most picture parameters correctly but it is practically impossible to set up correctly Colour Temperature and Colour Management. You can contact Piers at www.homecinemaengineering.com. He did a great job on my 434 a couple of weeks ago.

11. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers all,

I am definately going to get isf once I clock up a couple of hundred hours and
    its good to know that a bit of tweaking will make this screen even better than it is.

Happy viewing.

12. pendlebum

pendlebum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys, please forgive my ignorance - but what is this ISF calibration you're talking about?? I've just bought an FDE and have noticed slight skin tone issues. Is it something I can do or do I need to get someone in to do it??

Thanks,

Matt

13. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    ISF is the Imaging Science Foundation that certifies calibrationists through training and testing. There is a lot on the subject if you search this forum.
    Visit www.imagingscience.com. Certified people like Piers here in the UK that I mentioned earlier are on ISF's database of trained personnel. Basically manufacturers adjust their models with default settings for very bright images with some unreal contrasts and colours to compete with each other in bright light showrroms. In addition a perfectly calibrated set will add to the cost and buy price since each set require separate detailed calibration. Hence for the very best imagewe need ISF calibration....

14. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a good explanation of ISF calibration at http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/calibration.html.

Gordon from convergent-av travels around the country doing ISF calibrations at peoples' homes. He did mine and several other peoples' from this forum. Jolly nice chap, really knows his stuff and did an excellent job.

Cheers,
    Mat

15. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I would say precisely that for Piers too! See www.homecinemaengineering.com