1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skin textures

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Nicky, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i've been looking at quite a few LCD's recent but haven't got my wallet out yet.

One thing that seems to be a common issue is that skin textures seem relatively poor. You seem to get a 'paint by numbers' effect of relatively large blocks of single colours. This seems similar to the solarisation issues I've seen on plasmas displaying fine colour gradients.

I'd attributed this to the screens lacking sufficient colours to reproduce the image correctly but thinking about this more this seems unlikely. Basic LCD monitors are happy enough to show a digital photo with decent quality.

Can anybody explain to me what causes this and what I should look for in a screen to minimise it? I've also seen a lot of comments that this can be improved using by using a higher quality source and a bit of playing with settings, a little like solarisation again. How does this help if the issue linked to the screen technology.

Thanks for any help,

Nick