skills needed for chip mod

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dood, Nov 8, 2001.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have a region 2 Sony 525 DVD player. Unfortunately the only discs we can hire here in Zim are Region 1, big mistake on my part for not buying multiregion in the first place. With customs issues etc it's almost impossible to have the player sent up for modifying. I have ordered a chip from techtronics even though they say it requires considerable soldering skill to fit it. I won't even try to do it myself but I'd like to know from anyone who's done this mod just what skill and equipment it needs? I am thinking of taking it to a VCR repair chap or other electronics shop to have their skilled technician do this "DIY" job. Do you think they could manage it? What should I ask them to see if they can do the job. Any technical info would be appreciated.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The Sony players had what is called a 'surface mount IC mod', ie very tricky. It's not like normal soldering were you can practically crow bar out components :) , but requires special tools to do it with. Basically it's very fine soldering indeed. A proper workstation is a good start. So yes, a workshop would be a very good bet. It is 'NOT' a quick fit that any old Joe Bloggs could do. Pay a bit to get it done properly.