1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skiing and cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by imichael, Mar 12, 2005.

1. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do they mix, aside from the landing on them every 30 seconds?

We are off to Chamonx next week and I'm looking for advice on keeping condensation out of my digi SLR (the compact shouldn't be a problem). I was advised that the pro's keep the camera in an airtight/waterproof box outside with the batteries removed so that there aren't huge temperature variations when they set off in the morning. But is -10deg and lower going to be an issue? I have bags of silica gel I can take and loads of spare batteries to keep warm on the piste (hopefully I won't need medical attention as 4 packs of AA batteries in the armpit might take some explaining).

also, will a standard UV filter be strong enough at high altitude to get rid of the blue haze, or is something stronger needed?

Hopefully I can get a new shot for the photo comp this month while I'm there.

cheers

Ian

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm out in breckenridge colorado for the season at the moment and I recently bought a Nikon D70. So far (touch wood) I've had no problems, no signs of condensation, batteries lasting very well (puts my compact at normal temperatures to shame). Not sure I've been out in temps of less than -10C but certainly below freezing.

I've got two filters at the moment, a skylight 1B and a circular polariser, these seem to be fine but I'm no expert.

3. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Owain. A winter season in Colorado? I envy you, we're waiting for the kids to grow up and not want to come to afford a return trip.

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    nowt like some colorado concrete

5. bigNeil

bigNeil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Whilst skiing I took some videos with my Canon S30 last year, had this faceplant:

the first video on this page

and my camera survived, albeit 50 feet further down the hill than me!

6. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having taken my 300D to swedish lapland where temperatures hovered around -17 outside and +20 inside I have to say that the whole condensation issue didn't present a problem for me!

As long as you don't breathe on the lens (which will mist up and take forever to get off) then you'll most probably be fine...probably.

I took a load of zip-lock food bags which I kept the camera and the other lenses in, then took them out when I wanted to use them. When I couldn't be bothered to bag everything up again before going inside, I didn't notice any ill effects.

As for skiing - make sure your gear is well protected and try not to fall onto it!

7. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good stuff, I guess just keeping lens changes to a minimum helps too. I'm hedging my bets for falling on it, so the camera is going in a trakker rucksack with extra armour and padding.

Thanks for the replies