• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ski-icide

onefivenine

Prominent Member
I'm going skiing. :) Need Camera. :)

Call me mad... but I'm carrying:-

30D
10-22mm
24-70mm 2.8
70-200mm 2.8 IS
3 x CPL polarisers (1 x Singhray G 'n' B polariser)
Grad ND2
Grad ND4
ND4
3 x 1800mAh batteries
8 x 2GB CF cards
580EX
Manfrotto 055 MF4*

It all fits in my Lowe Pro Orion Trekker II (except the *tripod which is bungeed on the back with straps off my Mini Trekker II).

Wish me luck!

:thumbsup:

smashie

Established Member
you'll need it mate, i remember on a snowboarding trip to tignes i thought it would be cool to take my cannon slr up the hill to grab some shots of my mates in the snow park, i took it up in a hard shelled day pack on my back, long story short i caught a heel edge in flat light and went down like a sack of the proverbial, the pack smashed along with everything inside it.. not a good look:D

it's also worth mentioning that battery performane is severely impaired by cold temperatures so wrap your kit up nic and warm, maybe stick some of those thermal gel pack in your bag..

onefivenine

Prominent Member
Ouch! Well I won't be doing any daredevil type stunts. Will wait till I get my ski-legs back before taking the tripod up

Yep those handwarmer things are a godsend. Must remember to put the batteries in an inside pocket!

Cheers ;)

Tobers

Prominent Member
I carried the minimum of stuff with me when on the slopes last year. I chose one lens, stuck it on the camera, and put it in a backpack with assorted hats, scarves etc. and then skied very carefully. Got some super shots though!

If you wanted to do some full-on work with all your kit it might be worth you just taking the lift up, walking to a suitable location, then taking the lift back down again.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
what lens? Take a wide angle or something mid range? Eg I could use my sigma 10-20, or canon 24-105. (also have 70-300 and sigma 30mm but I'm assuming not to take those)

Also, I read something about using a plastic bag to prevent condensation, whats that all about?

dfrear

Established Member
I would *imagine* the plastic bag idea has something to do with going from very cold conditions into warmer conditions, then condensation can build up. Moisture can then promote the growth of fungus on your sensor or lenses.

Could be totally wrong, but thats what id guess.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom