skate vs Tony Hawk's Proving Ground

Which skateboarding game would you prefer?

• Total voters

vinz420

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread to find out what people think of this two new skateboarding games coming out soon.

I've been a big fan of skateboarding and have been for yonks and always wanted a game that can simulate skateboarding and have the same elements of fun - doesn't have to be realistic but something where you can go - wow, i wish I can do that in real life as well...

I am voting for skate for the pure fact that it's based on realism rather than over-the-top skateboarding. It is also very near to my (used to be) favourite skateboarding game of all time - Thrasher from the Playstation days. Don't get me wrong, I've been playing the TH's series since day one but bailed out since Tony Hawk 3 (came back when Project 8 came out) as it got tidious.

What about you guys?

I thought I'd start a thread to find out what people think of this two new skateboarding games coming out soon.

I've been a big fan of skateboarding and have been for yonks and always wanted a game that can simulate skateboarding and have the same elements of fun - doesn't have to be realistic but something where you can go - wow, i wish I can do that in real life as well...

I am voting for skate for the pure fact that it's based on realism rather than over-the-top skateboarding. It is also very near to my (used to be) favourite skateboarding game of all time - Thrasher from the Playstation days. Don't get me wrong, I've been playing the TH's series since day one but bailed out since Tony Hawk 3 (came back when Project 8 came out) as it got tidious.

What about you guys?

Although the skate. demo is very good and has raised the bar for the TH series im gonna withhold judgement until i at least play Proving Ground, i really enjoyed P8, it really was a return to form so ill give Neversoft a chance to reply to EA's offering.

As i said in another thread, your move Tony...

Skate is in a different leauge,If your a non skater you may not quite get how close this is to real skating,it makes sense from a skaters point of view.The chance to play as the gonz is totaly mental.He is one of skatings true legends.
Tony hawks was good untill it started to go down the mtv bam route.
This excites me more than Halo 3
Can not wait to get my hands on this :D

It's ironic really ; EA may have a real winner here due to the fact that the TH games have become far too familiar and later versions have appeared to be nothing more than upgrades of previous games.

Criticism that applies to nearly every other EA sports series :hiya:

OK, a trite point? I'm not a massive, massive fan of the genre but I do pick up the odd release here and there so I'll probably get Skate just for the different approach...but I'll wait for the reviews first.

I (alone it seems) vote for Mr Hawk. I've played every Hawk game bar the first one. I'm very familiar with the controls and it's great to be able to 'do' the game from the word go. This means I can get on and explore the new stuff in each new episode with ease.

Skate is very impressive, and I like the new approach, but I found myself getting frustrated at constantly bailing while trying to ollie onto a rail or up a bank due to the more realistic gameplay. I was also getting confused and automatically reverting to TH control commands when trying to do complex stuff.

I'll probably pick up Skate at some point, but I'll stick with Mr Hawk for now (unless they total screw it up.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom