1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sk+ without the phone connection

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Steve1138, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as a Sky+ virgin, there's a few things I don't understand about how it works.
    I've had Sky Digital since launch and am drawn to the Sky+ (not just for the recording but also the S-vid and digi-output)
    but, for certain reasons.. I can't have it connected to a phone line.

What does this do how it works ?

Does is prevent it from providing all the necessary functionality (ie parts of the EPG, recording, recording at correct times even if they shift the schedule... ?)

The dealer I spoke to obviously hadn't tried it himself, and just said that Sky had told them that it just wouldn't work [without phone line].

What does the phone connection do (apart from allowing Sky to "phone up the box" to see if it's there) and interactive services (which I Don't use anyway).

From a technical point of view - I don't see why the box shouldn't be capable of providing all the record / playback functions without the phone, unless they've built in some kind of link to the phone connector that really does diable certain features...

anyone know / tried it ?

THX
    Steve

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Short answer is no phone no Sky+

Practically of course you are correct, the phone is not required in order to record or watch Sky programs, but you can only get Sky+ active by agreeing to keep it connected to a phone for 12 months and during the install the box does call back to Sky so you would need a phone line available.

If you choose to break your agreement and run it without a phone attached then they can always turn off the recording function if they wish, up to you to decide if you want to risk it I guess.

Mark

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i moved into my new house in december the phone line had not been fitted yet so we (me and the instalation guy) called sky and told them the phones were down in the area.........
    they said they could switch on the channels but the record option would not work till the phone was on...........Rubbish ! The record option started working ten mins later and still does.
    I assure you my sky+ box has NEVER EVER been near a phone line and works just fine.:rolleyes:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's just the same as a standard digibox, it'll work fine without a phone connection (allowing for lack of interactive options) but if the contract you have agreed too states a phone line needs to be connected then they can terminate the service at any time if it isn't connected.

SKY+ T&C's state that SKY+ has to be connected to a working phone line it also allows SKY to collect viewing data.

5. kblue

kblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I installed my Sky+ box myself (fitted the new LNB onto my old Sky dish). When I phoned Sky to get the box activated, I noticed that the box went on-line.

After that I disconnected the phone line due to moving equipment around, and never reconnected it. I haven't had any problems whatsoever since - all functionality is available.

Only drawback is you can't use sky boxoffice and Open, but neither of those are an issue for me.

6. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks... this is what I suspected.
    (Pity I only upogarde my Mk 1 PACE to a Panny, last yr around time that Plus came out)

Looks like I shall now be soon mating another S-video and Toslink connection into my LEXICON processor

He he

Steve

7. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    One point worth noting.

The Sky+ T&C suggests that the phone line must be connected because the installation was carried out by a Sky home Installer (will dig out the actual wording when I can get into the garage, lost the key).

I installed the Sky+ myself and as I do not have a phone line in the viewing room, the system has never been connected to a phone line since it was first activated.

I was not asked when I phoned to have my sky+ subscription turned on if the box was connected to a phone line, nor was this mentioned as a requirement.

So, the box is fully capable of working without a phoneline, nor does it need one during installation.

Guy

8. ELC

ELC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One word of warning if you have multiroom

A friend recently recieved a bill for 2 full monthly payments rather than just the extra £10 because the 2nd box was not plugged into the phone line too!

When he phoned Sky they said that they send regular signals via the phone line and if they don't get a reply from both boxes they assume that you may be using the box incorrectly i.e. sold the box to a friend. You will therefore be charged for 2 full subscriptions for every month they cannot connect to the 2nd box.

I want to get a 2nd box myself but do not want the wires trailing my flat. As a complete novice to these things - does anyone know of a wireless way of getting a "phone type socket" to another room without running an extension cable?

Thanks

9. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No you definitely do not need a phone line for Sky+.

My new house (in 5 years now) has never had a active phone line. I use a mobile.

I bought my own Sky digital digibox off eBay about 4 years ago and it ran no problem.

Then last year I bought a Sky+ box from eBay and when I called Sky they simply switched my card over to work on it. Again no problems.

If you buy your own box then Sky do not have any problems with it. However, if you get it from them then part of the deal is that you keep it connected to a phoneline.

Only thing I miss out on is interactive stuff. Unsure if I can use box office or not - never tried it.

10. B.W.

B.W.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wireless telephone line extender in Maplin here as an example.

11. elsandalos

elsandalos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Sorry to bump such an old topic, but i couldn't see the point in starting a new one. I have a Freesat card from Sky which i bought for £20 and gives me just the basic channels with no subscription.

If i bought a SKY+ box from ebay, do you think i'd be able to use it with the card just to record the channels that i have access to, without starting a subscription? The posts above suggest that i don't need a phone line to get the EPG, so should it just work? I'm wondering if SKY+ boxes have a special card to make them work that you can only get with a subscription.

cheers

El.

12. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    El, you would need to have the freesat card paired to your Sky+ digibox then call Sky to enable the facility. Please note that they will charge you £10 per month for the priviledge, they won't request a telephone line connection!

All - New T&C's as before state that for Sky+/HD functionality a telephone line must be connected for minimum 12 months. As most know this is rubbish, you don't need one for the functionality, but its advisable if your new to Sky just for the activation of your card. No telephone line is needed for pairing or activation of Sky+/HD facilities on an 'existing' subscription. Yes, complete activation can be done without a telephone line, but its not that straight forward unless Sky will take the word of an engineer that the telephone lines are down etc, as someone said. Basically, if you use Multiroom, you need a telephone line connection to each box, if you wish to use interactive services, you'll also need the telephone connection, but for anything else, don't bother.

13. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    They start sending your threatning letters if you disconnect it, though I unplugged mine about 3months ago as the modem light kept coming on and they've said nothing. Last time though they sent me a letter within a couple of weeks

14. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    ...thats only if your on multiroom though!

15. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Been using SKy+ not connected to phone line for about 12 months, Sky+ features work fine.

Think you only need it for some sky active features, purchasing products, making bets etc.