Size vs Quality @ 18 foot viewing distance

sULs

Hi All

Looking for a potential upgrade possibly around black Friday if some thing good pops up, so hanging out for Dodgexander's updated guide for TVs for the year whilst doing general researching. However slightly torn on what size to plumb for.. Budget is around £700 give or take and size wise I can go up to 75 inch within the fake wall. Current TV is last of the Panasonic plasmas 50 inch which frankly feels quite small given our viewing distance of 5.5 meters / 18 foot.

The sweet spot seems be 65inch price / quality wise however I'm torn as too whether a low end 75 inch would serve us better than a mid/low 65 given our viewing distance?

@ 65 The Hisense U7Q looks like a perfect all rounder for us or potentially the U8Q should a decent deal pop up

@ 75 There are the likes of Samsung UE75TU7100, LG 75UN70706LD, Hisense 75A7100FTUK but I'm a bit unsure it these are all a bit cheap and cheerful if I'm honest.

Viewing angles aren't a issue (due to distance), and I realise I'm not going to get HDR as such on any of the above bar the U8Q potentially.

Content wise, the kids use it for xbox a fair amount but quality is of no concern there, viewing I care about is mainly streaming Netflix, prime, plex some, HD TV content and minimal SD content.

So cheap 75 inch or ok 65 inch @ 18 foot?

Cheers suls

footballwatford

Standard Member
I have exactly the same requirement as you do and have all the same questions. I’ve done a bit of research however far from an expert. My currents thought is to go with this one. It has the spec that something from Samsung or Sony would cost about £3k+. It’s just do I gamble the brand TCL. I’m told they sell lots of products in China and they are very much up and coming.

Attachments

• 26C42911-9E3F-41F3-BC27-2ADB83EAB763.png
    26C42911-9E3F-41F3-BC27-2ADB83EAB763.png
    699.9 KB · Views: 52

sULs

Cheers both, have heard OK things about TCLs in the past although never seen one in person, will have a look at the one above. might be worth pushing the budget a bit or hanging on for a bit to afford some thing bigger and better overall I guess.

Believe new guide is intended to be out prior to black friday from other threads, but Dodgexanders probably better placed to answer that overall :)

Dodgexander

The TCL isn't bad, its a mid range TV which is actually pretty rare this year. VA 120hz panel at 65 and 75". I'm not sure there's a similar spec TV with a VA panel on the market currently.

But since its only mid range, its not suitable for HDR use, really as a bare minimum for HDR you need to consider the Sony XH9005 or Samsung Q80T, but even those TVs only really get halfway there with average levels of peak brightness.

Think first of which panel type you want in a TV and second about HDR usage, don't go lower than the Sony XH9005 or Samsung Q80T if you intend on using HDR.

footballwatford

Standard Member
But that probably summarises things for me - I don’t even know what HDR use is. I can’t miss something that I don’t know what it is. This TCL is the first 75” tv that you informed people who I respect the opinions of that Is priced around £1,000 has said is mid range and ‘not bad’ I think I’m going to go for it - Dodgexander. Did you think it will be discounted on blank Friday or in January?

sULs

Think its between the TCL 75C815 and Hisense 75A7100 for me,

See the TCL is @ £999 now

And the Hisense £849

Amazon product
Leaning towards the Hisense as viewing angles aren't an issue. Not sure if they are likely to get any cheaper towards next weekend or just sell out that said..

BTW Great work on the guide Dodgexander, really good stuff (Y)

Dodgexander

And the Hisense £849

Amazon product
Leaning towards the Hisense as viewing angles aren't an issue. Not sure if they are likely to get any cheaper towards next weekend or just sell out that said..

The Hisense is a low tier TV with a 60hz panel and no wide colour gamut.
The TCL is a mid tier TV with a 120hz panel and a wide colour gamut.

Both TV use VA type panels and have narrow viewing angles. At present the TCL is the better deal because you are getting a higher spec TV for only £150 more.

sULs

Yeah realised after I posted the TCL was VA as well, might just pull the trigger on the TCL, think its probably more likely to go out of stock than get much cheaper..

footballwatford

Standard Member

yes I jumped on the TCL deal at £999 yesterday - looking forward to receiving it.

And the Hisense £849

Amazon product

sULs

Yeah, I've ended up the same, placed the order today.. Thanks both for the thoughts and advice

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom