Size or Quality

reddevil74

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I currently have a Pioneer 50 inch 8g which I am very happy with. However I would really like to upgrade in terms of pure screen size.My original plan would have been the 55 vt30 but now I'm thinking what about 59 or 65 inch samsung d8000 . So my question is would the sheer impact of a 65 inch screen overcome the possible shortcomings in pq (if any) for roughly the same price

Guess its a personal choice, I went for a 42 V20 last year over a 50 Pk990, Wanted the best PQ I could get get. Though bigger the PK990 still didnt have as good a pic and it being 50 just showed it more. Best thing to do as ever is to go see the sets.

Have your cake and eat it. Get a projector.

I'm kind of in the same boat.
My budget will get me a 59" sammy d6900 or a 51" d8000.
I just can't find the tv's on a shop floor to check out.
I'm sure the 8000 will have better PQ, but will it be that much better to have a screen 8" smaller.
Oh I don't know.

Ok so I currently have a Pioneer 50 inch 8g which I am very happy with. However I would really like to upgrade in terms of pure screen size.My original plan would have been the 55 vt30 but now I'm thinking what about 59 or 65 inch samsung d8000 . So my question is would the sheer impact of a 65 inch screen overcome the possible shortcomings in pq (if any) for roughly the same price

1 factor is viewing distance, if you're going to be sitting fairly close, then the 55 will still be a very big screen. As mentioned in the avforums review for the 50VT30 its unlikely to be surpassed this year in pic quality (Have you seen the review?). My choice would be the 55VT30. Also HD is still 1920 x 1080 on the bigger screens so I would think you would start to see the limits of this resolution at the bigger screen sizes (depending on where you sit of course!). Just my 2 pence worth.

Up until recently I worked for a major independent and we'd occasionally use the store for watching the football/boxing/xbox after-hours. We'd inevitably sit in front of the largest TV in store*.

Size matters which is why I have a projector and 42" combo.

The Samsungs you mentioned are up to a good standard but only you know if the lesser black levels etc are going to bother you, personally I think the difference is fairly minimal.

As far as my set-up goes, I'll always choose the slightly ropey old pt-ax200 projector over the picture quality of my 42v20 for films, it has so much more impact.

*one exception, last years entry level 60" LG just didn't cut the mustard.

I was thinking the same but I have a projector as well
It is true a pj has far more impact!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom