Size of a 160GB HD

owain_thomas

I'm just setting up my new system, it has 2 SATA drives in it, one is 80GB and shows up as 76347MB, which seems reasonable. the other is a 160GB, this only shows up as 131069MB though. Is this anything to do with LBA, I've made sure its turned on in the bios of my asus P4P800-VM, and according to the website the BIOS should support it out of the box. Any idea where I can get the rest of my disk space from?

Cheeers
Owain

owain_thomas

Never mind, sorted it. You need to install XP SP1 to get windows to use 48-bit LBA, size now upto 156000MB, much better!

Owain

Messiah

Owain

I have just upgraded my system to a borad that supports S-ATA drives. Have you noticed much improvement as the spec increase does not appear that great (133MB/s > 150MB/s). Any other benefits apart from easier cabling :) I'm still running my 250GB P-ATA but tempted by a couple of new S-ATA drives.

Thanks.

GrahamC

Novice Member
You will notice very little speed difference but there is a difference in cpu usage. Although the bus speed is 133/150 the actual drives are probably only around 60-80 if that, so neither bus is being stretched. The great thing about S-ATA drives is the thin flexible cable, which make for nice neat installations.

Top Bottom