Size Matters

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by madfiddler, Aug 12, 2017.

1. madfiddler

madfiddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    So I am in the market for a new TV to replace my Sony KDL-46W905A

size matters

I have the set on a custom cabinet in the corner of my lounge with floor standing speakers either side. Without totally removing the floor standers (which I'm reluctant to do even though they serve primarily for music and not surround sound these days) I don't have much more width to fit in a larger TV. The Sony is 104.9cm wide

Based on room size and viewing distance (~2m) a larger panel size would be great, But on the other hand I don't want it dominating the room too much. It's a regular lounge, not a room just for TV

I am looking for a UHD set that has good blacks and bright enough to deal with the room having a large bay window. It will be used for HD gaming (Xbox x come November) and upgrading to Sky Q is on my list. I watch a fair amount of sports, movies and Netflix.

I've had my eye on OLED but given the size limitations struggling to work out what's best.
    I don't have specific budget constraints but on the other hand not wanting to spend thousands if I don't have to.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Not much more width is rather vague. Are we talking about 5cm wider, or 20-30cm wider?

49" models like the Sony XE90 or Samsung Q7 run to about 110cm while 55" models are typically about 123cm and 65" is probably too large at 145cm.

3. madfiddler

madfiddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    So all OLED are 55" plus right? The 55" sets I've been looking at are
    ~£2.5-3k and if I can fit one in ~123cm wide

If not OLED then what's the pick of the bunch that remain at 49/50"? I hear the Samsung KS8000 mentioned if I can find one. A 49" would be ~109cm, £1000-1200 range it seems.

Now that's quite a difference in price I'm struggling to get my head around....I appreciate the technical difference but in regular day-to-day use is that justified. I don't know how to answer that!

4. madfiddler

madfiddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks I think I posted above before seeing your post. My initial thought as 65" is deffo too large. I need to wiggle things about I think to see if 20-30cms more space is doable.....minus those speakers though I could possibly go to 65"

5. madfiddler

madfiddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    So with speakers were they are I have to knock any thoughts of 55" on the head. I can do 49" assuming that's around the 109cm wide mark.

I assume the HDR 1500 of the q7 sets are worth having over the HDR 1000? What about curved versus flat? The dimensions are the same but will a curved 49" 'feel' larger than a flat 49"?

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Yes. I believe LG are building a new P10 factory expected to come online in the first half of 2018 so we might see them in the 2019 model range.

Last year's models occasionally come into stock at around £1.5k, John Lewis had a few the other day, and I'd expect this year's to drop to a similar price if you're in no hurry.

The KS8000 was last year's model, it's been replaced with the Q7F (and Q7C if you'd rather have the curved version).

I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you're talking about the peak brightness then it's not a particularly useful number outside of flagship models. For mid-range TVs like this it's much more important how good they are at using the brightness, i.e. their local dimming systems and software translation (rolloff etc.)

If HDR is important than the Sony XE90 would be the only other big contender at sub-55". I've not seen many direct comparisons yet, but Rtings rates it ahead of the Q7.

Curved TVs haven't proven to be particularly interesting, they don't seem to have much of an effect at these sorts of sizes/distances. Curved monitors with a much larger apparent size are popular though.

Some people like them though, and their only real downside is that they spread reflections across the screen which shouldn't be a big deal towards the higher end of the market as the TVs have better anti-reflective coatings and higher brightnesses.

7. madfiddler

madfiddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks. Was browsing the Samsung site and across their range they refer to HDR 1000 and HDR 1500. I was struggling to see what in reality this means

It seems like this is going to be a toss up between Samsung QE49Q7F and the Sony KD-49XE9005....need to read some more reviews :)

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    It means that the marketing department is doing a poor job of communicating the technology. At a guess it's likely to refer to peak momentary brightness which as mentioned above isn't a terribly useful figure.

Pretty much, we sometimes see some launches at IFA at the end of this month but I haven't seen anything about another high end 49"