1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Size DOES matter - New Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jenz, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always felt that I foolishly compromised my CRT screen by buying a 6.5ft wide screen rather than the 8ft screen possible for my room.

Basically I was so eager and the 8ft was out of stock that the 6.5ft seemed OK. But as always you should stick to your guns and go with what you really want rather than *any* compromise unless there are significant overriding factors.

Yesterday I switched my screen for a proper 8ft wide unit giving me a cool 96inch wide image.

This is the first phase of my upgrades. Next is to obtain the 808s/move the 708MM. Then add in The Rock Video Processor replacing the HTPC. Finally I'll probably go for a new DVD Player to replace my Sony 725.

As a word to the wise, if you have to make a decision go for the right one not the quickest one [​IMG]

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,
    Maybe you need to check out my monster Pioneer DVS9 (same as DV09 Elite)but japanese version in champagne gold.
    This machine looks exactly like their latest flagship the AX10.
    Stereophileguide to HT mag gave this top marks (AAA) in their best gear roundup in this months issue. Many industry people still use this machine as their reference even though there are many good latest generation progressive players out there. The point is that anywhere above 480p they have to go 480i into a processor making the progressive capabilities of these players useless for high scaning CRT's.

With the rock, this machine should do the trick nicely.
    I'm putting this on sale soon at a fair price, you might consider it [​IMG].

Eric

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But Eric, what are you buying instead? Maybe I should just buy that [​IMG]

Personally I'm tempted by the Arcam DV88.

[This message has been edited by Jenz (edited 28-03-2001).]

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you selling your old screen Neil?

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sorry Metric it was a trade in against the new one.

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Neil,

I think Jack in my job and work alongside you, you seem to have an inexaustable ammount of money! LOL.

I was also looking at the Arcam, but was told by a friend who works in the business (who I bought the 808 off) that its a difficult machine to use . Pioneer 737 seems to be the best for the money. Guess we will have to try them out. Glad you finally got your 808. I have yet to fix mine up as I have only just got hold of a bracket. Hopefully the next week or so. Cant wait!

Cheers Rob.

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,
    I use the Cinematrix moded 7700 with my 808s so have no use for such an expensive machine as the 09 in my secondary system.
    Eric

8. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

We're going without the 808s bracket. My upstairs floor is solid concrete so we are using a sorta bolt nailgun to fire into the concrete then directly into the Barco!

Another word for the not so wise... it takes two strong men to position an 8ft screen into place and get the b***er up... good job I do go to the Gym!