Six-year-old girl mauled by two Rottweilers

sore napper

Novice Member
Very saddened to hear this, especial as it only happened out the road from where I live. A family from London come to N.Ireland because their children wanted to see the Giants Causeway. When packing the car to go home, two Rottweilers attacked their 6 year old daughter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6959146.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6959912.stm

I'm always saddened to hear about dog attacks like this, and its almost always little children that get attacked. My heart goes out to the little girl.

It makes me very angry about people that keep vicious dogs, and the people that don't keep their dogs locked or penned in.

daveaka

Novice Member
Its such a shame these incidents even happen. Its always makes me angry when I read stories like this, mainly with the dogs owner, any dog can be vicious, it all depended on the way its been nurtured. The dogs ower should be banned from keeping pets for life..

sore napper

Novice Member
Its such a shame these incidents even happen. Its always makes me angry when I read stories like this, mainly with the dogs owner, any dog can be vicious, it all depended on the way its been nurtured. The dogs ower should be banned from keeping pets for life..
Yes, I also put a lot of the blame on the dog owners. I don't know what normally happens after attacks like this. The dogs get put down and the owner probably walks away from the incident free of any kind of charge.

I agree that any dog can be vicious. I also understand that some dogs may just go completely out of character and attack someone total unexpected.

Are there now laws about keeping dogs?

Are there now laws that put the reasonably in the owners hands if an attack takes place?

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
All dogs are unpredictable, it's only the difference in sizes that will result in serious injuries. However, ANY injury is avoidable if the dog owners get trained at the same time as their dogs. :suicide:

Jenn

Novice Member
If two German Shepherds had a go at a child I can tell you there wouldn't be much left either.

Dogs are animals and although we like to have them as pets they still will react like animals and there's no way you can blame them. Unfortunately they are the ones paying for it in the end (as well as the child).

All it takes to avoid these "accidents" is a responsible owner: one who will take the dog to a proper trainer (who will train the owner as well as the dog) and/or make sure the animal CANNOT get out unattended.
A muzzle is also a gesture of love - it makes sure that your dog will not end up being killed for injuring someone.

P

PrettyGreen

The family was staying on a NITB (northern Ireland Tourist Board) approved "Working Farm", of which one of the major attractions, according to the NITB spokeswoman on the news yesterday, is dogs. But she went on to say that this would normally be "working" dogs, like sheepdogs, collies. She evaded whether or not the NITB was aware that there were Rottweilers on the farm when it was being evaluated for approval, but confirmrd that the little girl's mum had asked for them to be locked away when the family arrived for their holiday, which they were.

The NITB spokeswomen also said that although they have suspended the farm's approval and removed it from their website immediately after the incident was brought to their attention, they have no powers to prevent it operating as a business and taking in more guests.

Rottweilers, in general, make very good pets and rarely attack people but after the blistering weather we've had here the last few days, the things have probably went mental with the heat.

sore napper

Novice Member
Yeah the two dogs where shot, by the owner.

I mean after any dog attack.

Apparently he has a third Rottweiler, but he denies it. Its being looked into.

There was a third dog on the farm that wasn't involved in the attack. They put it down. Can't blame them for that.

R.C.Bitch

Banned
any dog can turn. even the most friendly, loyal dog can attack. by law no dog should be in the street of a lead but from what i see its rare to see a dog on a lead. bring back dog wardens

any dog can turn. even the most friendly, loyal dog can attack. by law no dog should be in the street off a lead but from what i see its rare to see a dog on a lead. bring back dog wardens

:thumbsup:

I hate all dogs as I wouldn't trust any not to 'turn' - I won't take our daughter to the local park as there are so many dogs running around off their leads that I wouldn't feel safe with her.

The poor girl's family, what they must be going through, my thoughts are with them.

dBrowne

A muzzle is also a gesture of love - it makes sure that your dog will not end up being killed for injuring someone.
Agreed. My wife's dog would always become a bit alpha around dark dogs, even after the snip, until we muzzled him. Ever since, not even the hint of a growl. He was always completely docile around kids and strangers, but dark dogs (and nuns) just got his blood up.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom