1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Six Feet Under really hitting its stride

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Azrikam, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched the latest ep of SFU last night, and despite a slow start, the show really hit on all cylinders for the finale. I'm officially hooked now, and can't wait for the rest of the season.

One thing though, there had to be 5 or 6 commercial breaks last night, for a 1 hour program! Maybe I'm wrong, but it definitely seemed excessive. Industry pundits are marvelling at the success of home theatre equipment and DVDs. Personally, I think people are just sick to death of watching commercials and having their screens littered with logos; hence the need for DVD equipment. Maybe I'm just spoiled because SFU is the only thing I watch live. (everything else has been taped, so I can scan through the commercials) But I digress... last night's episode was great.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fully agree with the above, in fact, I'd say each episode has improved on the previous one by 20% or so... and the first one was excellent.

Without doubt the best TV show on UK telly at the moment, with 24 running it very close.

SFU has such intelligent observational writing and dares to really tackle emotion. I don't want to spoil the episode for anyone who catches it tomorrow on E4 at 9pm (hint) so won't go in to detail other than to say miss it and you'll have missed out.

Federico the embalmer is the coolest character on TV at the moment, bar none.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It puts nearly every english show on television to shame, why cant they put it on during brooksides prmetime slot or something?

Does anyone know anythng about a dvd release because they're just finishing/have finsihed the second series in america.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely loved last night's episode and it seems like I was right about Nath's g/f having dark secrets ;)

3rd season starts soon in the US :( Gawd, we're so far behind :(

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely fantastic tv along with '24' s has been said. Who would have thought a program about a bunch of undertakers would be this interesting?

On the subject of commercials, I left the room on the last one just to take something upstairs, and when I returned about one minute later, it had restarted. One minute advert! What's that about?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah that happened to me!!! What a waste of space.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got burned by that in one of the earlier episodes. Although I was taping it, I am notorious for flipping to other channels during the commercials. I can see why broadcasters would like to have more, shorter breaks, as it increases the chances of someone sitting through the commercials. I hope this doesn't catch on with other channels, though.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Azrikam: it is sickening that Channel 4 put so many adverts in the show... especially considering they screen it far too late to attain a decent audience. They also get a second chance to flog ad space on the E4 re-run.

I noticed that 'one-ad' break in the final segment of the show, what a joke. Channel 4 also didn't seem to bothered where the breaks came either, very abrupt I thought.

I'd have loved BBC2 to have picked up SFU. Mayeb Auntie Been felt the language was too much for them? After all, 24 is let down by it's lack of realistic language.

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fantastic show. The scenes between whatshisface and the dead bloke were brilliant.

As for the advert breaks, I only noticed three, and I skipped through them with TiVo! :D

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I might have to start taping it and watch it on Tuesday nights instead. They can make me pay for my TV, but I'll be damned if they can make me watch them commercials! :mad:

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn. I've just realised that I missed last Monday's episode of Six Feet Under (15 July). Can anyone please fill me in? :(

12. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You managed to just miss it according to your post time as it was on E4 @ 11pm
    In case - with RT edited

A grieving widower camps out in the funeral home - old black guy who talks street and doesn't call ladies, well ladies if you get me drift! And then up and dies whilst camped out there.
    Sparks fly when Claire meets Brenda's brother Billy - Claire also finds out about the book about Brenda and Brenda cuts off Claire from saying how she really related explaining she's heard it once too often. Claire really likes Billy and at first things go well (2nd base) but then he has an episode and shuns her advance saying she's just a kid and he's not a paedophile. Brenda takes Claire out to cheer her up. Aww.
    Ruth spurns Hiram after running into him at church - a Russian florist who hots up her already passion fueled mind and snogs her! But she then ends up on Ed Begley's doorstep...
    David finds himself pursued by a pushy divorced parishoner - the seemingly mad bird that was after him before pushes too hard and he snaps. She suggests they are both lonely and sex can be fun and relieving but he goes off in a huff to a gay bar and has sex with some guy.
    Nate uncovers some of his father's secrets while examining old funeral home receipts - seems dad did some jobs on a bartar for services principal. One Indian dude gave him a spare room at his restaurant to use whenever for burying his departed lady wife, which he used to play tunes in and get high with some organic grass from another barter client;) Nate ponders the fact that the clients all say his dad was a laugh and tries to get more in touch with who his dad was - bikers appear in room/hooker etc. He tries to get Brenda's genious (! - flashback to Blackadder) on the case by taking her there but she tells him it's too late and to live with what memory he has.
    That'll do yer.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have E4 so I can't catch the repeat! :( I just have DTTV.

Thanks for the synopsis - much appreciated matey :)

14. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This show is just getting better. The highlight for me had to be the ep with the gang member... that episode seemed to work on every level.

Although the adverts annoy me, at least last week's episode was shown with absolutely no onscreen garbage! I didn't even get that damn big brother red dot. Course, my digibox might have just been on the fritz. :)