Six Bullets Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
As a long-term Seagal apologist it pains me to say it but the portly Buddhist fighting cupboard could only dream of making a film as good as Van Damme’s latest, Six Bullets. The film isn’t even that good – by conventional, mainstream standards – it just happens to rank amidst the crème de la crème of straight-to-video actioners. Boasting a reasonably coherent and unusually twist-laden story, some well-developed characterisations, halfway decent performances and – most importantly – several impressive action set-pieces, Jean-Claude Van Damme has successfully managed to capitalise on his recent, atypically villainous (and reasonably well-praised) Big Screen Expendables 2 performance by delivering to fans a solid DTV action-thriller that engages for its unusually substantial near-two-hour duration. And with another, even darker and more impressive-looking Universal Soldier sequel around the corner, it seems...

Read the full review...

Nice review Cas and you make a purchase very tempting, especially when you say ....

"I would strongly recommend this as a blind buy to anybody with a healthy (if inexplicable) appetite for the output of all these 80s/90s action icons – in particular, of course, to fans of Van Damme himself"

Well yeah, that is me :smashin:

Hmmmm .... I may go and see what I can pick this up for :)

JCVD was great in Expendables 2, I was very impressed with his performance, he did a great job totally agree and I did want to see his character more in the film.

Nice review Cas and you make a purchase very tempting, especially when you say ....

"I would strongly recommend this as a blind buy to anybody with a healthy (if inexplicable) appetite for the output of all these 80s/90s action icons – in particular, of course, to fans of Van Damme himself"

Well yeah, that is me :smashin:

Hmmmm .... I may go and see what I can pick this up for :)

JCVD was great in Expendables 2, I was very impressed with his performance, he did a great job totally agree and I did want to see his character more in the film.

Thanks Glenn :thumbsup:

It's definitely worth checking out. It's not got the budget or quality of even an Expendables film, but it definitely shows promise, and is still one of the best DTV movies I've come across recently.

Have you seen Universal Soldier: Regeneration? I reviewed it here: UK and US, and it's seriously superb, DTV or not. Impressively atmospheric, relentlessly brutal and with a strong contribution from Van Damme too. Top movie.

Also, on a non action front you should check out the film JCVD; it's more of a satirical drama than an actioner per se, but Van Damme actually acts in it.

Again, I'm probably preaching to the converted - you've probably seen both already!!

Cheers, Cas

Ha ha yes mate, I own both the blu ray movies you mention and reckon I did buy Uni Sol Regneration based on your revew ;)

JCVD was a huge surprise and excellent movie.

One of my fave JCVD movies is Hard Target, mainly as it also stars Lance though. JC's hairstyle is horrendous in the movie but the set pieces, action and presence of Henriksen (and Arnold Vosloo) really make that movie a guilty pleasure of mine.

Other than that, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Timecop etc all rock.

Any takers for Double Team ? :laugh:

Ha ha yes mate, I own both the blu ray movies you mention and reckon I did buy Uni Sol Regneration based on your revew ;)

JCVD was a huge surprise and excellent movie.

One of my fave JCVD movies is Hard Target, mainly as it also stars Lance though. JC's hairstyle is horrendous in the movie but the set pieces, action and presence of Henriksen (and Arnold Vosloo) really make that movie a guilty pleasure of mine.

Other than that, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Timecop etc all rock.

Any takers for Double Team ? :laugh:

What we really need is a Special Edition Blu-ray release of Hard Target which includes the longer workprint cut, even in SD form, as an extra. What we'll get, after another few YEARS of waiting, is probably just a bare-bones edition like the DVD...

And yes, I have a soft spot for Double Team. It was certainly Van Damme's bad phase (and clearly Mickey Rourke's bad phase too, though he was in ridiculously good shape). The less we say about Rodman's hair the better.

It had a crazy story that randomly turned into Running Man or Fortress halfway through (on the island) but who can complain about a film which ends in a Roman-arena-turned-minefield with Mickey Rourke, Van Damme and a TIGER! :eek:

Definitely a guilty pleasure, I'd lap that one up on BD too! :smashin:

Also love Cyborg, and recently watched Pyun's director's cut - good but it shouldn't have dubbed over Van Damme's dialogue, however much he struggled with it. Hmmm, think Cyborg's just been released in the US on BD, that might have to be one to review...

Cheers, Cas

I had forgotten about the tiger in Double Team :laugh:

You are right, it is a good "fun" film as long as you don't take it seriously and if you are a fan of JC/ MR who as you note was in crazy shape for that movie.

Hard Target extended cut - have not seen that but would be very interested to see what it is all about.

You forgot to mention JCVD in No Retreat No Surrender ... he is great in that vs Jason Stillwell :smashin:

The Hard Target workprint is actually quite different, although what I mostly remember it for is the fact that basically everybody gets hit 10 times more than in the normal cut. It's properly violent. The only distinct scene I remember that's notably different is the piano-playing scene with Lance Henriksen, which is instead intercut with shots of wartorn locales and also animal hunts (I think). TBH I haven't seen it since the days of VHS (!!) and even then it was terrible quality. I too would love to watch it again, but, as I said, it seems like a dream that they'd ever actually include it as an extra... ah well.

You're right about No Retreat No Surrender, nothing beats early era Van Dammage!

Anyways, if you do get around to watching Six Bullets then drop back and let us know what you think. Remember, it was made for about £4.50 so it doesn't look flash and polished even to the degree of Expendables (1 or 2), but it's still got its moments, and Van Damme is on great form.

Cheers for your comments,
Cas

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom