1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siting your AV receiver!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by overkill, Nov 27, 2003.

1. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Here comes an odd question!!! Bought a AVR3801 (see other post) for someone else and found a potential problem already!! According to the blurb it can't be sited to close to the TV!!! You what!!! Do they think we all use 50 metre cables (well, i use 20 metre ones but hey!)!!!??? The guy wants to put it in his TV cabinet roughly 40cms below the set.

Question is, by not too close, what do they mean, 30cms, 3ft, 3yrds?? My own gear is in another room from the TV, linked to the hi-fi, so i've never given it much thought.............

Any suggestions?

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think that the proposed distance will be a problem but the nature of it's location may be.

Do they mean to put it in an actual cabinet i.e a closed space with a door at the front? If so I would be concerned about the heat build-up from the receiver and whether it could be properly ventilated.

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably just refering to magnetic issues affecting the picture as with speakers. Not so easy to do with a big amp but try moving it towards the screen and see if any distortion or colour issues occour, then move it away till they go and then a bit more for safety and that's your MSD (minimum safe distance :) ). Might have to have the amp on at the time as it'll be more electro magnetic then normal speaker magnetic. ;)

On yeah and like Rolo says make sure there plenty of ventalation (designing a cab at the moment and I'm leaving 10cm top and 5cm either side and it's open back).

4. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The top of my Denon 3802 is about 30cms away from the bottom of my TV.
    I have experiened purple patches on the TV screen in the past. (I tend to leave the TV turned off for 10mins if it does this)
    But recently i.e. in the last 6 months it has not done it since.

Not much help I know but at least you know what to do/expect

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Thanks guys!! I'll check on the cabinet. I think (can't be sure!) that it's open back as you can see the wallpaper behind it when you open the doors. Even with the doors closed the DVD, VCR, and SAT receiver don't heat it up much. Unlike mine!!! :D

6. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I initailly put my 3802 directly under the TV but experianced purple patches also. Moved it to the bottom of the rack with a video player and DVD player above it (20-30 cm below the TV) now all is OK, so I's say you need approx 30cm