1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siting a plasma above a radiator

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by xio, Oct 31, 2003.

1. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I know that this is probably not a good idea on the whole, but the way the room is set up, it's the obvious place to put the screen. I'm assuming the worst, in that you shouldn't do it, so I will need to do something to deflect the heat. Has anyone come up with an elegant solution for this? - current thinking is to put a small shelf in and maybe mount the centre speaker on it.

Also, as a bonus question, is using s-video connection a generally bad idea (it's just a lot neater than anything else for me as all the switching is done through the amp).

Ta
    Chris

2. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Even with a shelf this is not a good idea. Plasma screens cool by drawing in cool air form below and using convection expelling hot air from the top vents.

Even though you are deflecting the hot are from the radiator out into the room, the above cooling action is in tern sucking back this hot air into the plasma.

The net effect here is that you will either have a much noisier plasma as the fans have to speed up to increase airflow or in the case of a fanless panel you will servealy shorten its life!

Phil

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    You could do what I've done...
    As my plasma will also be sited directly above a radiator, I decided to turn it off (I can do this as we have 2 rad's in the room).
    As it will be turned off permanently, the logical next step was to remove it completely. So I did.
    We have the new plastic speedfit connections so it took me about 5 mins to pull off the pipes, fit some end caps and remove the radiator and brackets.
    Looks a whole lot better and it also means I can now put the equipment rack below the screen thereby saving £200 on an extended system cable.
    The best part is, it's a reversible mod' so I can always put the rad back when we come to sell the house.

4. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm, it's a new radiator, and the only one in the room - having replaced two that were in there before. There is a fire too, but it's not an ideal solution. Can't move the radiator elsewhere as we've laid a solid oak floor.

I'd have thought a shelf would be ok as long as (a) it's deep enough and (b) the screen is far enough above the radiator.

Of course, I could be wrong.

5. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chris

What make of plasma do you have?

S video connection is REALLY not a good idea. The quality of the picture will be quite poor and you will not be utilising even 50% of the screens picture potential!

If you decide to put the screen aboe the radiator remember to line the wall behind the rad with silver reflector. This will help to keep the wall itself from getting hot and transfereing heat to the back of the plasma.

Phil

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scart to HD15 active sync extractor is the way to go provided you have . I can't believe how much difference it makes compared to the scart RGB (which is superior to SVHS) even with the best cables. The colours are much more vivid, sharper and I actually had to turn the contrast down. That's on PW6.

I used the QED as it comes with fat 1m scart attached and a free shielded 2m HD15 cable but most people here use JSTech stuff, allegedly best of the lot, though you'll still need the cables.

7. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't have the screen yet - still at the planning stage. Thinking of probably the Panasonic 37" (not the one with the tuner). Will book a demo at some point. I have Sky+ and DVD currently using s-video routed through the amp for switching.

Dumb question, but what's an HD15 cable? - is this similar to a computer monitor?. If I take such an approach, how do you guys handle the switching? Would like the ability to be able to hook the pc up to the screen too at some point in the future (bigger plans for another day). Do the converters have an ir control which I can program the pronto to cover?

Also, are there any issues over cable length - I'm probably looking at about 6 metres.

Ta

8. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it looks like there not gonna be 37in panas without tuner.

HD15 is a fancy name for VGA computer cables

sync extractor does not need a remote as it acts as a part of your cable.

on 6m run you will need to go for Hi quality cables to preserve the signal. See Joe from TMF for BetterCables one.

switching is a personal preference. I have no problems digging out panny remote to switch the input avery time I decide to watch a DVD seeing as I have to get up from the sofa to stick the disc it into the player anyway. If it's essential for you then unless you can afford an external processor (e.g. Lumagen or Iscan) which as an added bonus will act as your video switch box go for the better receivers like Denon3801 or new yamaha (don't remember the name) as they have upconversion from SVHS to component for SKY and component passthrough for DVD.

A word of advice, do not plan for the future. Live in today. Buy just enough equipment to fit your current needs as prices always go down and you always overpay for 'future-proof' technology which most of the time turns out incompatible or redundant by the time the future has arrived.

Ever since I bought my plasma I connected the PC once just to see that it's working. It's too much hassle with the cables just for a couple of hours of fun. If you go for HTPC, it's a different story: go to the relevant forum and there is plenty of know how there.

9. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happened to the TH-37PW5? thought that was supposed to be screen only (do not want to pay for another tuner and set of speakers!).

Re future proofing - all I'm talking about doing is making sure I have the correct cable running in the conduit I need to put into the wall to avoid replastering a second time. As long as I've got the cable to poke all the pins as it were, I can do something or nothing at some point in the future with a lot less hassle.

Presumably for this elusive "sync extractor" to which you refer, I'd need one per source then? Is it not possible to have one that takes more than one source to avoid 2x 6m cable lengths ?

In any case, presumably I'm not converting s-video to component am I? - can't see how that would improve things. Presumably I need to grab the signal in another format initially.

10. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    xio

I have done what you intend to do and have an interesting suggestion why not use a radiator cover, it can be lined with heat reflective foil (and of course behind the rad as well) this will then reflect the heat into the room and as a bonus the plasma (I have the Panny TH37 PA20) should sit behind the front lip of the top of the cover thus directing the heat in front of the screen enabling the plasma to draw in cool-ish air from underneath similar to your shelf idea, my plasma does not seem to be getting too hot at the moment but as a precaution I have turned the rad down (although the "boss" seems to turn it up behind my back!!)

Good luck:)