Sith sounds amazing!

PJTX100

Watched a bit of this last night, as usual volume cranked down so as not to wake the kids. Even at this low level the sub was really delivering some low sonics, the opening battle - the low drone of the massive space ships were really amazing - would imagine at reference levels with a big SVS or something this is gonna become another reference disc!

...PJ :D

MarekFIN

Banned
PJTX100 said:
Watched a bit of this last night, as usual volume cranked down so as not to wake the kids. Even at this low level the sub was really delivering some low sonics, the opening battle - the low drone of the massive space ships were really amazing - would imagine at reference levels with a big SVS or something this is gonna become another reference disc!

...PJ :D
It is insane at reference levels. My balcony starts to shake. :)

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Your balcony or everyone else's balconies? ;)#

I am about to go and watch it right now. I'll post an update tomorrow!

stevefish69

I'd have mine on if CD-Wow dispatched prior to the release date. Either that or my postman has just made ANOTHER tenner out of my mis-fortune :thumbsdow

Knyght_byte

hmm....i watched it myself monday night, i think something was wrong somewhere, the sound was nowhere near like it was on Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones........my amp definitely said DolbyDigital EX, channel levels were as usual, yet the sound just didnt seem to be there really, voices were fine, and there was surround detail, just things didnt seem as powerful as the other films.....in fact, normally if folks are in i have to make do with my denon 3803 set to -20 on a film like Star Wars, yet monday night i had it cranked up to -15 and it still didnt feel as wonderous and encompassing as the previous films......but i havnt adjusted anything on my system so i dunno whats gone wrong.....possibly my DVD is a bad disc/batch of recording?.....havnt had the chance yet to put other discs in since, will do that tomorrow night, if those sound lacklustre then somethings changed in my setup somehow....but i cant think what i have changed for ages :-(

picture quality was lovely, especially as it was on my PJ ;-)
just felt let down by the sound :-(

oh well, i'll play around tomorrow and hope its the settings, then i'll watch it again..lol

MarkE19

stevefish69 said:
I'd have mine on if CD-Wow dispatched prior to the release date. Either that or my postman has just made ANOTHER tenner out of my mis-fortune :thumbsdow
I checked my account on CD-WOW on Monday and the DVD was listed as dispatched. Tuesday morning I got an e-mail from them saying it had been dispatched and should be with me within 5-7 days - I hope I get it quicker than that as I could have bought it from Tescos for only £1 more.

Mark.

tahirti3

i played my region 2 copy yesterday too.also very dissappointed.no real impact on explosions or crashes.effects steering seemed ok but very flat sounding.i have two decent subs and have not adjusted them for ages cos they rumble very nicely but this film needed help.and i agree picture was very good.does region 1 sound any different?

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Disappointment here too. Played it at -4db and although there were some reasonable moments I felt the soundtrack had lost its impact as it tried, perhaps, to be a bit too clever on some of the scenes in terms of steering soundsources around the room. At -4db this nowhere touches the Incredibles for pure thump.

NeilS

I have 2 Velodyne HGS15s and a full set of Celestion A series speakers, with the volume levels lowish I found the bass extraordinary!

Probably the deepest bass I've heard/felt in a film yet with the volume as reasonable levels. This one's different to all other films!

Neil

Knyght_byte

NeilS said:
I have 2 Velodyne HGS15s and a full set of Celestion A series speakers, with the volume levels lowish I found the bass extraordinary!

Probably the deepest bass I've heard/felt in a film yet with the volume as reasonable levels. This one's different to all other films!

Neil
region 1 or region 2 disc? i used a region 2

the first 2 films were fine, my MA speaker setup and REL Strata 5 had a whale of a time, this didnt come close to comparing tho, only time things livened up a little was during the lavascene, and it still wasnt what i was expecting....it really let me down......the space battle was almost literally silent in comparison to previous films....it just seemed like a load of sounds were missing almost.....
like i say i'll retest it plus play the first 2 films as well to make sure my setup hasnt been altered somehow, but everything seemed ok on a cursory check....

Knyght_byte

actually, i remember when greivous and kenobi were having their one on one in the scene greivous dies, in the cinema when greivous almost stomps on kenobi's head the footfall was a massive crunch, so i was looking forward to that when i saw the scene happen....blimey, i can make more of an impact with my own footfall on concrete!...it was a pitiful midrange whump!...lol

oh well, *fingers crossed* when i get i'll find somethings changed on my amp and i can affect it to make the films sound true ;-)

PJTX100

Well it's obvious that you guys aren't listening to this quietly enough. :D

NeilS

Mine is the R2 version.

Without being funny I suspect that the bass in ROTS is biased to very low frequencies and therfore unless you're using pretty extreme sub(s) then it's simply not being reproduced adequately. Sounded lovely on my system but I could see it being flat on a system with less low frequency extension.

I played this at -17db and the rest of the soundtrack could have done with being louder but as the bass was so deep I kept it to that for fear of structural damage to my house and complaints from the neighbors!

Neil

PJTX100

NeilS said:
unless you're using pretty extreme sub(s) then it's simply not being reproduced adequately.
Mine's only a diddy XLS200 but I liked what I heard! :)

tahirti3

I use two revel b15a subs and believe me when i say that these are capable of going plenty low enough.also bear in mind that a couple of us have noticed that there is no impact on the sountrack.impact does not come from the extreme low end,but a bit higher up the range.with this film there is hardly any "attack" on the explosions.on a lot of other reference films i often fear for the well being of my neighbours as i live in a terraced house,but definately no worries with this film.

Riva

Standard Member
The best bit for me was the THX demo right at the start - Awesome (especially
at -12db)

Knyght_byte

NeilS said:
Mine is the R2 version.

Without being funny I suspect that the bass in ROTS is biased to very low frequencies and therfore unless you're using pretty extreme sub(s) then it's simply not being reproduced adequately. Sounded lovely on my system but I could see it being flat on a system with less low frequency extension.

I played this at -17db and the rest of the soundtrack could have done with being louder but as the bass was so deep I kept it to that for fear of structural damage to my house and complaints from the neighbors!

Neil
my Strata 5 is more than capable of making the room shake, especially given its an upstairs room with wooden flooring......its not just about the bass, its the whole soundtrack, it just seemed to be lacking the kind of presence and ambient atmospheric sounds that Menace and Clones had........sadly i didnt get a chance to test it again last night, hopefully will tonight......but if it is the same and the other two films are at their usually happy sound abilities then i will be extremely disappointed, moreso considering how much better the film is compared to the other two...

IronGiant

Very strange, we have somewhat of a dichotomy here, love or hate. I liked it. I confess to an upgrade since hearing the other two, so need to go back and compare.

Dave

PS Still need to do a frequency response, but can't find the meter :thumbsdow

K

krusty

probebly the best 3 lfe moments i sith[ well the region 1 version] are 1] the republic cruiser that comes in shot after opening credits 2] yoda own,s the red guards scene[ nice force thump] 3] when vader recieves his life support helmet, there is the very low thump thump of his heart beat..which i would imagine that budget subwoofers might not duplicate

Knyght_byte

its not just the bass tho!!...lol

the sound in general just doesnt seem to have the presence or ambience of the first 2, there isnt anything going on in the background half the time, at first i thought mebbe my surround speakers channel levels were down but they wernt...lol

still didnt get to test it tonight...booger....will do some point over the weekend....

Will Scarlet

As I posted elsewhere, I'm confused by the negative comments regards this soundtrack. I've got a R2 copy and it is absolutely stunning in every respect. I'm a DTS fan, and I still can't imagine a DTS track could have bettered this. Very strange indeed. One of the best Dolby tracks I've heard. I must be crackers or something.:confused:

all2humanuk

Standard Member
Malice said:
Interesting, the copy I watched appeared not to have DTS, only Dolby Digital.
He wasn't saying that his had a DTS soundtrack just that he thought if it did it wouldn't have been any better.

Jase

Distinguished Member
It (R1 disc) sounds good on my system. The LFE is there but it's very low stuff. Ideally you also need to be listening to it at a fairly decent volume level to hear/feel all of it properly.

HSC

agree with the flat sound at some points....

I just hope the DVD for War of the Worlds does not suffer the same......
just thinking about the sound of those tripods still sends shivers down my spine....

Trending threads

Top Bottom