Site access problems

pete1866

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi could anyone give me any ideas why my computer cannot acces a particular site. I log into quidco and then am trying to acces the prudential website.
I just get a blank screen and done at the bottom . I have tried it on another computer and have no problems. The address it sends me to is correct. I thought it might be spyware or a pop up blocker but have tried everything now. My computer is squeeky clean now ,any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
p.s not sure if this was the right place to post this

What operating system, web browser, ISP are you using?

Does the site require Java, ActiveX, scripting etc turned on?

Hi running explorer 6 , via ntl on xp. Checked my java script etc and everything that is ticked should be . I have had some strange things happaening lately with google keeps appearing when it shouldn`t . Convinced something is inside that shouldn`t be. Will get a friend round tomorrow to see if he can help. Thanks for the replies .

What happens if you type in the pertinent URL ?

(What is the URL by the way).

If you view the source of the blank page what do you get ?

Sounds for all the world like a privacy enhancement is blocking the tradedoubler tracking being used to monitor click through traffic.
If I click on the link you provided it gets blocked on my setup as well.
best bet is just go straight to the URL you need and avoid the monitoring intermediate.
If do want to follow a link like this (with intermediate tracking that won;t work cos I block that kind of stuff) and I think the site is worth going to it takes just a moment to cut and paste the correct URL or find the site independently.

You running a privacy proxy ? have lots of stuff in your hosts file ?
Any plug-in enhancements on your browser ?
( I don't use IE to web - Firefox and Opera).

Hi Steve a friend came round and checked all the add ons etc and you can`t access the page through firefox or opera which he found strange, or by copy and pasting i will just use his computer , i need to be logged into quidco and go that way to get the money back . Thanks for your help though.

weird stuff
I can see quidco.com no problem at all in both firefox and opera - as I suspect just about everyone can.

would get your PC health checked and scanned JIC - especially as you doing transactions on it....

At least you have a workaround.

Hi Steve i can see quidco no problem and log in and then click to go to most sites and it opens in a new window and dispays the page no problem just not this particular site. Thanks anyway.

clear out your cookie rubbish - run adaware.
care to post the URL of the source page containing the link that doesn't work ?

Ta,
When I click on the link for visiting without cash back (cos I ain't registered) it nets down to
www.quidco.com/visit/1903/TDq/no-cashback/

which produces the clickthrough intermediate.
this gets stopped by my proxy and my hosts.
So used the Browser Appliance under the vmware player (no mega hosts file and no proxy but separated from my real setup within the virtual machine) and it gets through okay. Browser appliance uses Firefox.
I can't cut and paste details out of the appliance into this (that is how it works)
but it goes through to www.prucariunsurance.co.uk with a nice identifiction string tagged on. This is something that you will need to claim your discount I reckon.

Anyway site is okay and works - so looks like defo your setup.

What is in your Hosts ?
You using a router/other box/ that does any site filtering ?

HI Steve you lost me when you ask about my hosts , i am not sure what this is . Had a look in system 32 etc but didn`t know what i was looking at . I am not using a router or anything , strange according to my mate who knows alot more than me. :)

You will have a hosts file - there is a default one.

worth checking out hosts, very useful wicket keeper.

If you want to understand it better an easy way is track down the free utility HostsToggle.

Not just your friend intrigued, I am too now. The answer is on your PC - or on your home network. can't see it from here... arrghh, splut..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom