Siri a waste of time?

gerbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am originally from Glasgow, however I do not sound like Rab C, I am fairly well educated and have worked in fields where nobody has had a problem understanding me.
This piece of software is hopeless with regional accents though, even something like set alarm for 7am, and it sets it for 7pm.
I have not got it to send a text properly whether that is finding the person from the address book or getting the dialogue of the text correct. You are also screwed if you have a non english sounding name.:thumbsdow

apart from that I like the phone though:)

Last edited:
It has trouble with Yorkshire too.

Also I find that the success rate rapidly goes up if you are in a room with low resonance, ie a well furnished room. Anything that has a slight echo, like a bathroom or our works mess room, it's very hit and miss.

Considering that it was supposedly one of the groundbreaking features of the 4S, it isn't up to much really. Whenever someone criticises it, people then say it's beta. It should work or it shouldn't have been released. It does seem to be unpolished and unreliable to me. It's a gimmick at best. I have got it to work now and again but I would never rely on it for text entry.

I use it all the time with my Dutch accent in English, whilst driving in the car it is absolutely brilliant...And the other day whilst removing a big server from a rack in a noisy air conditioned room I had it read out a text and I replied to it...

Regarding the name, hey normal english people can't pronounce my name, so I have given Siri permission to call me JP instead. Job done.

Advised brother in law to get a 4s, he told me over the phone that Siri was useless, assumed it was his brummie accent, went down to see him for a jolly and it doesnt understand my Yorkshire accent either. That said kinect struggles and the one on my s2 is like my backside as well, I'm sure they all work if you sound like Jeremy Paxman.

If you northerners learned to talk properly this wouldn't be an issue ;)

It's fine with the Welsh accent so can't see why it's an issue up North? What country have you got it set to? UK or US?

Siri is not useless, even Santa uses it!

:p

Voice recognition is very hit and miss , way back in 97 I thought it was going to reach a point where you wouldnt need a keyboard and mouse for much longer , but no , they havnt improved much , and Siri is no exception , unless your willing to talk like a machine to it , it will fall down more often than not.

It was fun asking it to "open the pod bay doors " and " where can I get rid of a body" for a while , and watch it pretending to get mad , but I havnt used it for ages.

Gimmick , without a doubt.

Maybe that is the problem. I find it better to speak normally than to speak with voice recognition habits of stating commands.

If you northerners learned to talk properly this wouldn't be an issue ;)

This :smashin: If i talk drunk, when my accent shows thru, Siri has problems, if i talk more like Teh Queen it's all good.

Doesn't work with the northern Irish accent either. Absolute gimmick and not worthy of the marketing that apple have threw behind it

If anything some of the things it does when i speak to it in my Glasgwegian accent makes me laugh!

I've got a Scottish (Glaswegian living in Aberdeen) accent and find it generally not bad. It apparently "learns" your voice the more you use it but I haven't really used it much so can't comment.

Whether it's a gimmick or not and how useful it really is, I don't know, but it's early days with this interface so I say give it a chance :thumbsup:

Absolute gimmick
Have to disagree with that, while it is more limited than many hope, it does show potential.

eg: Saying "set an alarm for tomorrow at 6am" is a damn sight easier / less fuss than doing it manually, also Siri mostly recognises that command first time too :smashin:

Have to disagree with that, while it is more limited than many hope, it does show potential.

eg: Saying "set an alarm for tomorrow at 6am" is a damn sight easier / less fuss than doing it manually, also Siri mostly recognises that command first time too :smashin:

I disagree. 9 times out of 10 the actual time of the alarm will already be set in the app so it's just a case of switching it on - 3 presses on the screen and you're done. Much quicker than messing about with Siri.

I have to say I think it's a gimmick but we'll see.

I've got a Scottish (Glaswegian living in Aberdeen) accent and find it generally not bad. It apparently "learns" your voice the more you use it but I haven't really used it much so can't comment.

Whether it's a gimmick or not and how useful it really is, I don't know, but it's early days with this interface so I say give it a chance :thumbsup:

How exactly does it learn your voice? If it continually gets it wrong, does it suddenly realise it is wrong when you start shouting and swearing at it and threatening to throw it out of the window?

If it gets it wrong, it will continue to get it wrong until it understands you and it will only do that when you speak in such a way that matches what they have on their DB. It is the user that has to adapt the voice by speaking like a total tool into it and not the phone.

Sorry but I don't think people are tools when they articulate well and can be understood...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom