Sir Alex Ferguson retires

I said on the other thread that I think this is the end of the empire. It happened to liverpool all those years ago. It will happen now. Nobody can ever emulate what SAF did. At least 28 trophies during his tenure. Much as I am not a Utd fan, you have to take your hat off to the man. Mourinho to Utd? Can't see it. Moyes? Possibly. His contract scenario is intriguing. Whatever happens, I hope SAF is able to contribute to the game in some capacity and doesn't just go into the wilderness. Imagine him as a pundit!

Last edited:
Certainly end of an era. I am pretty sure we will never see the likes of this again. Like him or not, you cannot knock someone who has given so much of their life to one cause.

Hopefully, he can now go and have a very nice, long and healthy retirement :)

It's going to be bizarre seeing anyone else in that dugout. Ive supported Unired since I was 10 years old and Fergie was there. That's nearly 24 years ago.

Nobody will ever repeat a reign that long or successful.

I can easily see that he's the kind of guy that all other fans will hate but there's no denying his status as a legend.

As a gooner I would like to say the guy has been a legend and there will never be another like him. Good luck in your future endeavours SAF. Respect.

Not a fan of him however massive respect for what he's achieved in the game.

Been at Man Utd for nearly all my life, jeez.

We only hate him because we are jealous! Man Utd fans must have felt the same during the shankly/paisley/Fagan/Dalglish eras.

Been at United for my entire life and then another 4 years.. :eek: Gutted he's retiring, but will be interesting to see who comes in.

:(

the pressure on the next manager will be unreal they well could struggle next year

Well there goes a legend.
And a well deserved retirement too.
:)

Deffo Maureen for the job, fergie has always admired him and without a doubt will be having a big say and input in who will be replacing him !!

Yes it's going to be weird seeing someone else in the managers seat in the dugout. No Fergie prowling the touchline waving his watch about. Very strange but, life goes on and so must Man United. The best manager of all time in my honest opinion. The haters will argue at the 2 European cups (only 2 - what some mangers in the current game would give for one) but, that detracts from his incredible achievements overall.

Be very interesting to see who comes in now. It will need a big personality to step in to his shoes and not be cowed by the immense presence of him looking down. Mourinho on that basis would be a good fit as his arrogance and ability would almost make him a shoe in. However, I also don't see him fitting in with Man United's profile regardless of how much Fergie likes him but, that said, I wouldn't be surprised to him there either.

Moyes would be another strong candidate but, does he have the star quality to attract the best players either established or potentially to come to the club?

You would imagine Fergie's decision has been made for some time and the manager in waiting has already been earmarked and possibly pre-contracted already, so I suspect the unveiling will be quite soon after the end of the season.

It's an emotional day already guys!

Where's the crying smily?!

Of all people, you have a problem finding a smiley :laugh:

In fairness, this is probably the closest you'll get that the forum provide -> :(

Damn. It's official then. Genuinely upset. Love that man so much. Cannot thank him enough for what he's gone. The greatest figure that there has or will ever be in Manchester United. A God in no uncertain terms.

He is staying on as a director.wonder how that will work with the new man.a large spectre will loom over whoever takes over.

According to Guillem Balague on twitter he reverted back to when Mourinho said there would be a "surprise" this season ?!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom