Sir Alex Ferguson retires

Sky are reporting that an announcement will be made in the next 48 hours regarding Fergie's replacement.

That would reduce the chances of it being Moyes IMO? Everton are still fighting for position, with Liverpool breathing down their necks. Whereas Real's season is effectively over.

Mourinho is the 6/4 favourite currently.

Everton have that position secured, we've given up it seems, evident from the fact that we have sent Gerrard to have his operation two games before the end of the season. I expect we will see some youth and fringe players in our final two games, good opportunity to see how they fair in a competitive game rather than meaningless friendlies

Wojciech Szczęsny on SAF "he's not that good.. he never won the Emirates cup

Ferguson, born in Govan and one of *them*, i should hate him BUT, you just have to admire and respect what he has achieved.
Anyone lasting 27 years in ANY job, never mind the cuththroat business of football, deserves credit.
So, SAF, one of *them*, i doff my green tinted glasses to probably THE greatest British manager of all time.

Now bugger off :D

Taken from a page on facebook, (so obviously a pinch of salt)

The new manager will be announced within 48hrs and before that he will have to resign in his current job.

So no messing about at all, going to be an interesting few days.

48 hours? Awesome. I don't want there to be ages before announcement. Please be Mourinho, and bring Ronaldo with you

BBC Sporf ‏@BBCSporf

BREAKING: In honour of Sir Alex Ferguson retiring, all Premier League clubs will play an additional 5 minutes of added time this weekend.

:)

If it wasn't for all that extra time his hip might have lasted another season or two

Im going to try and bury my head for a few days until there is an announcement.

Sky Sports are saying that sources inside United have Moyes as the front runner, but they're also reporting that the Glazers want a manager with a European pedigree.

I am surprised he has retired, but after the mishap of his last 'retirement' announcement, I always thought it would come 'out of the blue' or at the very least towards the end of a season

It's a strange feeling knowing he's leaving Utd and I'm not even a Utd fan. I was born in '80 and he's been there since '86, so effectively all of my football memory life. I remember the 'brawl' between Utd and Arsenal at Old Trafford in '90 and listening in on the radio. If you'd told me he'd still be there 23 (!) years later...I would never have believed it

I've also a little confession to make....in the 90's I saw more Utd games than Arsenal ones as the father of a very good friend of mine worked for the Wiltshire FA and, being ardent Utd fans, they recevied tickets for any Utd game at Wembley. I went to various FA cup finals and Charity Shields. Being a teenager, it was strange knowing my loyalty lay with Arsenal yet here I was watching a dominant Utd team sweep all before them. I was there when Cantona scored in the dying minutes to win Utd's second 'Double'. Sat in the Utd end, the crowd went delirious and I instinctively hugged my mate in celebration. I can't believe that was 17 years ago....

Since the news broke this morning I have called my good friend and he was incredibly sad

I think Ferguson's greatest achievement has been his ability to deliver success consistently over a period in the sport which has changed fundamentally in so many ways in the past 20 years

There will clearly be successful football managers in the future but I don't think any will match his longevity. There are some fine young managers around at the moment and some are already on their way to matching Ferguson in terms of trophies won but none will remain at a single club for the same period of time. Therefore by default, nobody will match his legendary status of affiliation to one club. That in itself is unique

I don't know who will replace him. I honestly thought Mourinho would go back to Chelsea but this throws quite a large spanner in the works. Was this why Mourinho was so kind to Utd when he knocked them out of the CL earlier in the season? Not sure. Maybe it's going to be Moyes and that was the plan all along. Whoever replaces him will have a daunting job on their hands and the pressure will be enormous if a few early results don't go their way

I can't wait for next season to start. I've waited for Ferguson to retire for a long time as I always believed he was 30% of what Utd were all about. The title race will be wide open and all the more exciting for it (unless you're a Utd fan of course!)

Cheers for all the memories, SAF. Some good, but mostly bad. And that's the biggest compliment I can pay you :)

Last edited:
Due to Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement, Wrigley's have gone into administration.

lol

If Mourinho is offered the United job, Abramovic himself doesn't have the pockets to stop him. And Fergie and Jose had a fantastic friendship too.

Do Man Utd have deep enough pockets to pay off Real? The most likely person looks to be Moyes, who is a good manager and in the mould of Sir Alex.

I'm going to have to avoid the pre-match build up tonight, it's going to be dominated by this.
Straight to kick off for me!

Wow :( legend SAF we salute you

In comes jose

Do Man Utd have deep enough pockets to pay off Real? The most likely person looks to be Moyes, who is a good manager and in the mould of Sir Alex.

Apparently Real are demanding around €10M in compensation. Considering the cost of players these days I don't think that's too extreme especially considering how unique this situation is.

I worry about Moyes not having the European experience and also the fact that he lacks the reputation to attract the big names.

Apparently Real are demanding around €10M in compensation. Considering the cost of players these days I don't think that's too extreme especially considering how unique this situation is.

I worry about Moyes not having the European experience and also the fact that he lacks the reputation to attract the big names.

Manchester United bring the names, not the manager imo. In saying that, the big names go to La Liga ;)

You're not the only one saying this, but I can't help thinking it's missing the point.
Surely the attraction would be joining Man Utd?
And whomever Man Utd decide is good enough to manage the team should be good enough for anyone.

Think this is the one to get Jose and Ronaldo

Doesn't Moyes have the worst record in the League against the 'top 4' sides? He is clearly a very good manager but can he handle Bayern away?

This makes interesting reading

I hope Mourinho doesn't go there as whilst I don't think he'd stay for more than 5 years, I can see him winning a lot of trophies in that time. I'm a massive fan of his and can handle seeing him at Inter or Real..even Chelsea. But Utd.....:censored:

48 hours and we find out whose hands the destiny will be in

Man Utd not looking for a 'quick fix or a hired gun'. Looks like it will be Moyes then.

It would be a very Manchester United appointment.

I was getting 4/9 for Moyes until two minutes ago, couldn't get it on quick enough.
Up to 4/11 in front of my eyes.
Bugger.:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom