Sinus surgery. Anyone had it recently?

the whistler

Wondering if anyone has has FESS ( Functional endoscopic sinus surgery ) recently who could share their experiences?

My story started three years ago when I had mild pain around left eye. GP suspected a sinus problem and referred me to the ENT department at the local hospital. Consultant arranged a CT scan which showed that my sinuses were congested with mucus.

Thee were two possible solutions. I could try a steroid nasal spray for three months or could undergo a FESS surgical procedure which involved widening the sinus openings to allow drainage.

As the spray had little effect after three months, I agreed to the surgery. I should have had this fairly quickly, but of course Covid put things on hold.

Three years later, I finally receive a date for my operation. By this time my symptoms had changed. I no longer had the pain, but was troubled with excessive muscus in the nasal passages which it was impossible to clear, and making life pretty miserable.

So this morning I turned up at the day surgery unit to await the operation. Nobody looks forward to surgery of any kind, but I felt relieved that the day had finally arrived and I would soon be free of my problems.

After being checked in, the consultant surgeon came to see me. I hadn't seen him for three years, and he asked me how I had been. I explained that the original symptoms had gone away, but I was still being troubled with the muscus. Immediately he responded by saying "in that case, we don't need to perform the surgery and you can go home"

I was so what taken aback by this asked why not. His reply seemed to suggest 'no pain, no surgery'. I told him that my understanding of the procedure was to drain the sinuses, to prevent infection, but he was adamant the surgery was not going ahead.

He further said that my condition could only be treated with medication, and he would see me in clinic in two months time to discuss medication. At which point he turned and wandered away.

Having consulted my GP several times recently, I am advised that I have tried all possible medications and surgery was the only option left. So I wonder what magic potion the consultant will recommend.

Call me suspicious, but I feel that this was an exercise to reduce hospital surgery waiting times and someone up above has decided 'no pain no surgery'.

Apologies for the long post, but just curious to hear if anyone here has undergone a FESS procedure recently and would like to share their experiences.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I had it about 10 years ago. This was for nasal polyps, which caused the same issue that you are experiencing (excess mucus, constantly have to clear my throat etc). I had no pain from these, but it does impact your life. I would put a complaint into the hospitals PALS (if it is still called that). Did you have a scan at all?

the whistler

I had it about 10 years ago. This was for nasal polyps, which caused the same issue that you are experiencing (excess mucus, constantly have to clear my throat etc). I had no pain from these, but it does impact your life. I would put a complaint into the hospitals PALS (if it is still called that). Did you have a scan at all?
I did have a CT scan three years ago, which showed the clogged up sinuses. I assumed the surgery was to clear this.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I did have a CT scan three years ago, which showed the clogged up sinuses. I assumed the surgery was to clear this.
So the new surgeon has discharged you without a repeat CT? How does he even know what he is operating on? Alot can change in 3 years.

Miss Mandy

I assume you didn’t get back in contact with the ENT consultant when your symptoms changed? The surgeon shouldn’t have been finding that out just before surgery. FESS may still be the correct route to take, but they can’t just go ahead and do it because of the risks if something has changed inside the sinuses that they’re not aware of.

camcroft

I have had 3 sinus operations two in South Africa one was a sinus wash the other more radical I dont know what. The other one was here in the UK and it was FESS and that seems to have sorted out my problem yes I still get seasonal symptoms. I remember coming round after the surgery they kept me in overnight and it was painful had it not been for a nurse on the night shift keep making me coffee as my throat was very sore. I do really feel for you theres nothing worse than being blocked up. I have a similar problem my knee went about two months ago I went to the doctor he said its Arthritis theres no way that it is he just keeps giving me medicine I said to him last time please refer me he said you would have to wait a year before you will be seen and went on to say I would be taking an appointment that somebody worse could have. I was not very impressed. Thats just the state of affairs at the moment with the backlog not only that our practice said that they would no longer be referring people to major hospitals due to the backlog. Make of it what you will. I do hope that you can get it sorted.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I assume you didn’t get back in contact with the ENT consultant when your symptoms changed? The surgeon shouldn’t have been finding that out just before surgery. FESS may still be the correct route to take, but they can’t just go ahead and do it because of the risks if something has changed inside the sinuses that they’re not aware of.
Generally the surgeon is the ENT consultant (or was in my case). The fact that it had been 3 years between the initial scan and surgery, and no additional scan, shows incompetence from the whole department

the whistler

I agree, but have had no way of seeing the consultant. As its been so long, I would have expected to see him to review my case before surgery, but just received the surgery appointment just six days before the date.

Ilovewaffles

I agree, but have had no way of seeing the consultant. As its been so long, I would have expected to see him to review my case before surgery, but just received the surgery appointment just six days before the date.
Did your GP not speak to the surgeon on your behalf after you had been refused surgery? The suggest of contacting PALS seems a good idea.

Laureline

Distinguished Member

I had the same procedure for nasal polyps too.

I was fine until they said they wanted me to come in a few days before to enable them to take a 3D map of my skull so the ENT surgeon would have a precise map of where everything is and not make a wrong turn.

Once I knew this was possible then I was a bit fearful

Nothing went wrong though no-one warned me about the thing he'd shove up my nose a week later to ensure everything was healing

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom