1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinking 42" plasma into brick chimney breast

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by BDCSTENG GARETH, Jul 12, 2005.

1. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have already wall mounted my TH42PWD6BX onto my chimney breast, and blasted holes on front and side to hide all cables. I am starting a new shift pattern as of next week, which leaves me at home 2 days a week without any... interuptions....

I was planning to take the panel down next week and cut all cables and install wall plate for tidy termination. I have now decided that I would like the look of sinking the panel into the wall so the screen is almost flush with the wall. Has anyone attempted this?

From the experience with my 2ft, 25mm SDS drill, I know that the depth of the brickwork is not just the narrow side of 1 brick. actually, I think the depth is at least 6-8".

Any pointers or opinions pls.

Gareth. :lease:

2. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've not tried anything like that before! :eek:
    Personally I'd be inclined to build the rest of the wall up/out to make the screen flush, using studding and plasterboard.
    On the plus side you'd have plenty of space between the existing wall and the new wall to hide cables etc.
    HTH & good luck
    Steve

3. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had thought of that but space is sort of at a premiem in my front room. I have a fireplace and mantlepiece, which the centre speaker sits on nicely. I was planning to take the brick about 4" back and an area about 3" larger in all directions of the plasma. I thought It would look quite cool is the edges of the recess were champhered at a nice 45o angle...

I'll post a photo of the setup at the moment and maybe I could get some creative support?

Gareth.

Gareth.

4. pwes

pwes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Watch out, chimneys weigh tonnes. You need to be very careful when messing around with them. I know someone "who had a go" and the whole thing fell through, including the next door neighbours. They weren't trying a flushmount, were planning on removing the chimneys but it all happened a bit quick for them!!!!!

6. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Pwes... That looks cool! Is that a lintle you put in there? Where did you get it from?

Here is a link to a new thread with some pics. The fire is electric, and has fake flew pipe... Good this as all the cables (inc sky) go through the void!
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226699

I think i'm going remove the handes aswell from my plasma cos they just look ugly!

cheers guys,

Gareth.

7. pwes

pwes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lintel is just a chunk of steel from the warehouse at work which we use to suspend BIG projectors from, so pretty darn strong. Once in, you can mess with anything below to your hearts content !

8. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest that you don't box it in tight, ie. to the rear leave some space for ventilation and a route for the warmed air to escape. The reason is that although plasmas lose a great deal of heat through radiation from the front, the key electronics boards are at the back and you don't want them heating up too much.

9. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I second that

Make sure you leave plenty of ventilation, and don't forget to put as many types of cable into the recess to make it future proof even if you don't need them now.!

I didn't think I'd need a HDMI lead as there were so few bits of kit that had them 2 years ago- now look....Sky HD, Xbox360/PS3, DVD, scalers, etc etc

Mine was built using simple studwork, the only tricky part is the new coving around the top

You might want to put some led backlighting behind there - who needs Ambilight??

here's some pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/mikeaitch/plasma/IMG_0207.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/mikeaitch/plasma/df023864.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/mikeaitch/plasma/e608874b.jpg

No apologies for showing the pic of Ms Knightley :D