Question Single-wiring speakers that come tri-wired - how best to do it?

Joe?

Standard Member
Hey there,

Currently, I have a set of 2 Linn Kabers as well as a Linn centre speaker, soon to be matched with a second set of Kabers for rear surround. However, all are tri-wired by design (excluding the centre speaker, which is bi-wired, with a third pair for active bass).

For a variety of reasons (complexity of having to tri-wire, ability to easily shorten my cable runs as single-wire, cost of the extra cable, potentially limited benefit to bi/tri wiring, etc) I've decided to single wire these. I think they did originally come with jumper plates, but they have all gone missing over the years.

So, the question remains, what's the best way to go about this? They all have banana plug connectors.

Option A: Buy the tool, unscrew the posts, put some speaker wire to jump them together where the plate would've been.
Option B: Buy the tool, unscrew the posts, custom make metal jumper plates similar to the original plates.
Option C: Strip off a long bit of the speaker cable, plug banana plugs into all the sockets, and route this cable through all of them.
Option D: Something else?

Option C is an interesting option that I hadn't considered that I saw someone suggest - I'm currently most leaning towards that because it seems both easiest and quickest, but I'd be open to the other options, as well as to others' thoughts as to which is preferable.

Conrad

You could get these: Amazon product, make four short banana to banana cables from your existing cables, and put a pair on each of the main cables from the amp.

Then you go in to the speakers with the cable from the amp, into the first bananas to the second speaker input, then into the second banana to the third speaker input.

If the binding posts can be unscrewed you could do similar but with spade to bananas which would look a lot tidier.

Joe?

Standard Member
You could get these: Amazon product, make four short banana to banana cables from your existing cables, and put a pair on each of the main cables from the amp.

Then you go in to the speakers with the cable from the amp, into the first bananas to the second speaker input, then into the second banana to the third speaker input.

If the binding posts can be unscrewed you could do similar but with spade to bananas which would look a lot tidier.
That looks like a reasonable bet. I think I'd probably prefer that to spade -> banana, all the spade connectors that don't require soldering that I can see seem to be in packs of 4, which for triwiring would result in needing 2 sets per pair, at ~£56/pair. I think that and the fiddliness of swapping them (e.g. if comparing vs tri-wire to see if I can hear a noticeable difference, ideally blinded, or when playing around with configs, like what connector to enter/exit on) means bananas would make more sense, not to mention the cost if I find that I actually can hear a significant difference with them tri-wired.

Conrad

I've used these in the past

£12 should do you.

I can also save you time on your single/tri-wiring experiment, but that's a very contentious point :D

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom