1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single wire - biwire speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by unrealrocks, Nov 10, 2003.

1. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May sound obvious but if I want to run some biwireable speakers from a non biwire amp ... do I just bridge the connections?

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yes, connect the 2 +ve terminals on teh speaker together, and the 2 -ve terminals together, and then run the normal speaker wire from amp to speaker. :)

Sean

3. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Most biwireable speakers already have a bridge in place when you get them (my B&Ws did). It's often a metal plate that's screwed down between the speaker terminals. BUT, you don't use the plate if you intend to bi-wire.

If you do want to biwire your speakers (which is often a good idea) you just need to remove the bridge (if there is one) and then run two cables to the amp's binding posts, rather than the usual one. This can be tricky with some as their binding posts are a bit slippery, so I use supra banana plugs, with two sets of cable going to each pair. Mine were from www.supradirect.co.uk

So, to clarify ... it'll look a bit like this (using your left speaker as an example)

Left Amp +ve >>>>>>cable 1>>>>>> Left Speaker High Freq +ve
    Left Amp +ve >>>>>>cable 2>>>>>> Left Speaker Mid & Low Freq +ve

Left Amp -ve >>>>>>cable 1>>>>>> Left Speaker High Freq -ve
    Left Amp -ve >>>>>>cable 2>>>>>> Left Speaker Mid & Low Freq -ve

:)

4. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The benefits of biwiring varies from speaker to speaker,some improve dramatically-usually on outright detail resolution.Worth experimenting.

zoolander:D