1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single system for HiFi and AV

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by chee, Aug 4, 2004.

1. chee

chee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a seperate HiFi and AV system set up in the same room at home.
    I am wondering if I should replace both with a single system.
    My current HiFi system consists of a Krell KAV-300i amplifier, Micromega Stage 2 CD player and Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers.
    My AV system consists of a Kenwood KC-Z1 and KM-Z1 pre and power amp and Boston Accoustics THX speakers.

I listen to music about 4 times as much as I watch DVDs. What would be a good system to replace this. I would probably want to retain the Sonus Faber speakers.

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you want/need surround sound for DVDs? If not, have you considered using your excellent hi-fi for movies? 2 excellent channels vs. 5 not-so-good?

3. chee

chee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is more involving if DVDs are watched in surround sound. I feel that with 2 channels a lot of the effects are missed out, no matter how good your system is.

4. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, just checking on how important the surround effects are to you :D

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Chee

How about replacing the Krell 300/Kenwoods/Bostons and having Sonus Faber speakers all round with the Krell Showcase Processor and Power Amp?

What DVD player do you use?

Gus

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Take a look at Lowrider's system.

I heard it and sounds great!

Also with Sonus Faber speakers.

7. chee

chee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gus,
    Yes, I condidered that, but I'm afraid it is more than I can afford. I have an old Sony DVP S7000, which I will also change as well if I change my current system.

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Tag AV32R surround processor as a pre-amp in to your Krell integrated, plus 3-channel+ amp for center/surrounds. You could use the AV amp in multi-channel input bypass at first, then add a dedicated power-amp say to bi-amp center and surrounds/surround rear if you feel the multi-channel usage is worth it.

I'm getting nice results from a Tag AV32R 192 7.1EX and Linn power-amps and speakers for the front pair. Sublime music and movies from one system.

regards,
    Rob.