Single Speaker or small sub

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by visioneer, Nov 27, 2010.

1. visioneer

visioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all, I am trying to find a simple solution to speakers in my conservatory. I have a wallmounted lcd with an av cabinet underneath. The gap between av cabinet and the bottom of the tv is 23cm. Either side of lcd are 2 Tannoy SFX satellite speakers. I'm using these in a 2.1 fashion with an old mission sub.

Ideally I would like to get rid of the sub and find speaker setup around the tv/cabinet. My thoughts are:

1. a single speaker that could sit on the av cabinet. I don't even know if such a thing exists

2. an ipod dock. Although I dont have an ipod, I wondered if I could connect it to the headphone out from my av amp and effectively use it as a single speaker? I have ps3, sky hd, wii, and a pc all running through an av amp so would need to connect the speaker to that.

3. very small 'bookshelf' hi fi speakers.
    3a. use a centre speaker on its own - eg Q acoustics 2000c which is only 16cm high. Or, use 2 centre speakers side by side as a stereo pair?

4. keep the existing tannoy satellites, and get a smaller sub to sit next to the cabinet or on top/inside (!! - Yamaha YSTFSW050BL)

Any suggestions welcome!
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    The one critical factor you forgot was BUDGET. We can't do anything without that.

As to item 1.) I assume you mean not one speaker, but speakers in one cabinet, similar to a sound bar.

As to item 2.), what I assume you are referring to is not a dock, but an iPod player, something with amps and speakers built it. If the unit in question has an AUX (auxiliary) input of some type, then yes you could connect you TV.

But, before I go so far as to confirm that, you need one additional feature. Your TV needs to have an Analog (meaning not digital) AUDIO OUT. This can be a stand alone red and white RCA-style phono connector, it could come from the SCART, or it could come from the Headphone jack.

But, even that is a conditional statement. You also neglected to tell us what amp you have, or what amp you will be using with this new setup. That's pretty important information.

As to item 3.), it will come as no surprise to anyone that this would be my first recommendation. Though you seem to be looking for pretty tiny speakers, and in my view that would be a mistake if you are intent on getting rid of your subwoofer.

To make this work, you need a pair of front bookshelf speakers that have pretty decent bass. Though there are many in this catagory. But, without a price, there are few recommendations we can make.

In my view the Tannoy SFX are a good set of speakers, if you are a kid on a starvation budget. But, it you are serious about Video playback, these are tiny little speakers, and you can only get just so much from them. Real bookshelf will seriously outperform them.

You can't want good bass, and also want tiny little speakers; those two things are contra-indicated. Good bass means bigger speakers or a Sub, and a pretty substantial sub at that.

Again, there isn't really anywhere we can go until you give us a budget to work with.

Steve/bluewizard

3. visioneer

visioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi, sorry for delay. Laptop died this weekend so have had to wait until I got to work.

Budget is up to £200. Soundbar sounds a reasonable idea but I thought they were just for movies/surround whereas I need it to do music as well. My amp is an older Yamaha 5.1 amp (can't remember exact model) but to give you an idea of age, it doesnt have component or hdmi inputs :blush:

My PS3, SKYHD, Wii and PC all have their sound running through the amp. I'm not sure that I need any audio output from the tv as I don't intend on using it for that purpose.

Bookshelf speakers would be my preferred option also, but I am restricted in that I would want to put them onto my av cabinet and then I've only got 23cm gap between the cabinet and the tv. I've been struggling to find any that would fit in that gap height wise.