Single player or multiplayer?

ry2k09

Standard Member
Reaction score
Which do you prefer?

For me online is for a laugh and to just give a game longer life but the heart of a game should be the single player. Thats the reason I play games cos I like to escape into a fantasy world.

I know everyones different and lots of people like online more then single player on games.

What's your preference?

I really enjoy my single player games, especially ones which have good story lines to get engrossed in.

But also like playing beat em ups and footie games when mates come round.

Definitely single player for me - I hate when a single player game is ruined for the sake of online. I'm not against a bit of online gaming every now and again (and my PS3 is set to auto sign into the PSN) however it's by no means a reason to buy (or not buy) a game like it is for some people, and usually I finish the single player game before going online.

There are some exceptions though - I loved Warhawk back in the early days, LBP wouldn't be the same without multiplayer, I also loved Killzone 2 multiplayer (but I was in a clan which helped), and I enjoyed the Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops co-op missions to get the Platinum (but believe it or not I've never even logged into the competitive multiplayer!).

In the main multiplayer doesn't really extend the game for me a great deal as when I've finished the single player campaign I've normally got another game, either a retail one or a PSN one, to take it's place...

Single player by a long shot. Nothing beats a good story based game. UC2 was awesome, & just going through the God of War Collection. I'd forgot how good GOW was, & they've done a stellar job updating them for the PS3.

I don't online that much. I've done Motorstorm:pR, KZ2, UC2, & a few others, had fun, but I just don't have the time or inclination to game online a lot.

Also, wouldn't be that time taken out of browsing AVForums (yeah, cos I don't do most of that when I'm at work...oh, wait!).

Definately single player. Multiplayer is fun and we do that sometimes but mostly just single. A blue moon rises when i play online ;)

Both!

I like single player story / adventure games like Dead Space and Uncharted, but i like sports games, shooters and racing games against other real people rather than playing against AI.

I go through phases and at the moment its a single player phase. Even if I venture onto to MW1 or 2 these days its for some lone wolf FFA.

Single player mostly but I love the feeling of taking on other humans rather than ai all the time. Probably my main reason for buying the PS3 when we had the wii was because there was more online based games and no need to add friends to each and every game (friends codes on wii)

Not all that great online though, but like to play as long as its not amongst the hardcore serious players.

Which do you prefer?

For me online is for a laugh and to just give a game longer life but the heart of a game should be the single player. Thats the reason I play games cos I like to escape into a fantasy world.

I know everyones different and lots of people like online more then single player on games.

What's your preference?

I've played games for years and kinda lost hope. The plots and some of the gameplay becomes samey. I love it when something new comes along; thought GTA3 was wicked on PS2 - totally different to previous installments, but must say that the last one on PS3 I was left bored again; online was naff.

Really loved Bioshock, so loved the escapism, something to do etc, so look forward to 2nd ed. Whereas Haze, Turok etc were all boring , much the same - and even Killzone was a bit 'the same'.

I dont give the single player on COD much time of day- they're ok, but not really my style - I presonally love big open worlds to explore (Fallout3 being a bit too spaced out and slow).

However, play these games year after year and you get bored of the challenge too... the biggest one being AI. Whwereas online the 'Intelligence' is far better and thus a real challenge. But i'll soon get bored of MW2 too and need something different.

Single Player is the most important part for me, I tend to buy games based on their single player modes. I will normally dabble in the online mode of every game I buy just to try it out and see what its all about but its very rare I become hooked on the online portion enough to continue once I have got everything i can out of the single player portion.

COD4 and Bad Company are probably the exceptions were I have continued to play the online mode for months after getting the game.

Tough call.

They're both very important for very different reasons. I love the fact I can load up MW2 or Battlefield 1943 in be in a multiplayer battle within a minute. On the flip side, great single player campaigns (let's say Uncharted) can be like reading a good book or watching a good movie. Utterly engrossing.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, single player and multiplayer are not always distinct modes anymore. I played co-op through the entire Gears 2 campaign with a mate and I think I enjoyed it more because it was co-op. Similarly, being able to drop in and out of games in Borderlands works really well.

Online without a doubt but that probably stems from my favourite games being shooters and my lack of decent 1 player games.
I almost completed GRAW2 then took it online and not been back on the solo since.

Saying that though not many games have sucked me in like the original MGS did back on the Playstation 1.

Currently loving warhawk and never play anything else anymore, just seems like time I could have been on warhawk is wasted doing anything else :rolleyes:

I think that a lot of gamers are moving away from single-player experiences because of just how simple and quick online is nowadays. I think if you were to take a poll of all MW2 players and asked them "did you even touch the story mode before going online, let alone complete it?" I think a lot of people (nearly everyone) would have to answer no.

I think the new way forward in games (and something that there will, presumably, be a lot of in 2010) is online co-op. Yes, in games like Uncharted and Dead space the game wouldn't be the same if you are forced into playing it with someone else (the story would lack that something special imo) but in army-centric games like Call Of Duty, Killzone, Battlefield ect. you are with someone else 90% of the time so there's no stopping the devs making it co-op. Personally, I agree with the theory that a robot/computer can't do a humans work so there is no stopping these games having co-op.

Games like Resistance 2 and MW2 have also proven that having three seperate game modes: Story, Competitive and Cooperative can be very sucessful. This is also a possibility.

I think 2010 could be make or break (if it's done wrong) for Co-op gameplay but I think it will be the "hit thing".

ps. all thought it doesn't look like it from this post I do LOVE story modes in games. No other industry can do story's like video-games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which do you prefer?

What's your preference?

That's pretty much how I feel, I dont look for a game for it's multiplayer if it has it then it's bonus.

Single-Player!

Except for sports and racing games, although racing single player can also be good!:thumbsup:

Could do with a TimeSplitters 3, the multiplayer in that was awesome!:smashin:

I think the new way forward in games (and something that there will, presumably, be a lot of in 2010) is online co-op. Yes, in games like Uncharted and Dead space the game wouldn't be the same if you are forced into playing it with someone else (the story would lack that something special imo)

They might still be enjoyable with a coop option though. I remember System Shock 2 on the PC released a coop patch which was great fun even though the second character been there made no sense and didn't even show up in cut scenes. The game is very much like Bioshock but in space and like Bioshock is really built around the solo experience but the addition of a second character was a great option if you could ignore the obvious story floors a second character introduced.

I think the new way forward in games (and something that there will, presumably, be a lot of in 2010) is online co-op.

I think 2010 could be make or break (if it's done wrong) for Co-op gameplay but I think it will be the "hit thing".

How are things back in 2005? Are you new to gaming :confused:

Bit in bold above makes it sound like co op online gaming is something new or will be big in 2010? Gears of War 1 was released 3 years ago, and that had full online co op? Fable 2 is another example? It has been a huge part of gaming, certainly on the 360, all of this gen.

When people say Live is so good, it is the ease, speed and tools Live gives to get into a game easy (xgame inviates), chat easily (xgame chat), and be in a group with mates (party support). It seems to me this part of gaming (co op online) has totally passed you by for the last 3 years?

Have you ever owned and played a 360 for any length of time? I realize online co op gaming is not the PS3 strongest suit, but many of the games below are on PS3 and offer online co op?

All of these games have co op (online) story...and when played with a mate (or more than one mate) the gameplay is very different to single player. The experience is arguabley more fun :), but whatever, it is certainly not a new thing for 2010.

Gears of War, and the sequel
Fable II
Crackdown
Call of Duty: World at War
Borderlands
Army of Two, and the sequel
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
LEGO Batman: The Video Game
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Resident Evil 5
Rainbow Six Vegas, and the sequel

Last edited:
Seeing as no-one's really mentioned it.. Split-screen for me!
I enjoy playing games with my mates when they're round and it's the best option! My favourite by far is Warhawk as it supports split-screen online.

Single player for me. I just find the majority of multiplayer games online repetitive personally. Run >> Kill a few people if Im lucky >> die >> repeat. Boring!

Definitely online for me(PS3). Due to the kids, I don't really have time to play through any sort of campaign, plus I don't really have the attention span either:rolleyes: Can't beat going online and playing MW1 and WAW (I find MW2 too frustrating, or more likely I am rubbish:rolleyes:) and for the first time in months I just gave Killzone online another bash yesterday and really enjoyed it.:smashin:
Lastly Mario Kart online is superb. I think if there was not any online game options for today's consoles then I would get bored very quickly!!
Chris S

I understand the argument in favour of online co-op or split screen.

Borderlands split screen was bundles of fun, if a little juddery at times, there was a lot of comments like "oh for **** sake, will you stop going into that ******* menu when I'm shooting. I always ending facing the wrong way, oh look I'm dead again (sarcasm)".

There is usually a trade off in co-op, having to wait for the other person to get into position to push that sodding button so you can carry on. Bitching about who's levelled up first, & one of you standing around letting the other person do all the work for 20 minutes while they catch up. I think the pro's outweigh the cons though.

I still think the right single player experience is better than the best multiplayer experience, but it's a personal thing. I am currently going through the PS3 God of War collection, & I forgot how much fun they were, & no multiplayer in site. There's some good games out at the moment, but Saboteur, Dragon Age: Origins, & Brutal Legend are getting put on hold because of GOWII. I even got my Wheel Stand Pro for my DFGT a couple of days ago & have only used it for the one session of GT5P.

:smashin:I love God of War, I just forgot how much:smashin:. Roll on March.

I guess I'm just not a social animal, but I'll take good story over good multiplayer every time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom