Question Single DIN with Bluetooth to replace an Alpine iDA-X001

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by AMc, May 3, 2019.

1. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    In our '05 plate Mini Cooper S convertible I fitted an Alpine iDA-X001 when we first got the car back in 2008.
    Originally using the iPod integration and then iPhone 4 and finally iPhone 5/6/SE using the Apple lightning adapter.

I've fallen out of love with the iPhone so I'm looking for a replacement that has bluetooth so I can use an Android or an iPhone device. I don't care about Carplay or Android integration - just easy bluetooth connection and track skip/pause on the head unit so I'm not touching my phone when driving. Mechless is fine too, never missed the CD drive in the X001.

DAB might be good but I'm not keen on messing about too much fitting a dedicated antenna and being a convertible I'm wary of sticking things to the windscreen etc.

Any suggestions in the £100 ball park which will sound decent and doesn't look too garish?

2. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The new Pioneers with the Smart Sync app are a great upgrade.

The have great sound quality and you can connect two phones via bluetooth or with a USB connection on the front.

The Pioneer app allows you to control the radio via the phone but you can also control the phone's Spotify and Nav apps from the radio.

There are two versions: DEH-S510BT with CD player and the MVH-S510BT without CD player

Best of all, they are available for around £100

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    @Spy Super thanks for the suggestions. Are you using a Pioneer and Smart Synch yourself?

Looking on the Pioneer site the only difference between the 410 line and the 510 line seems to be the mutli colour illumination, MIXTRAX - which I have on my double din in another car and have never used and "3 way network mode".
    3WNM looks to be a way of using the RCA outputs to drive a component system so not something I'm planning on doing.
    So I could potentially go with the lower model - it seems the CD drive makes no dfference to the cost so wondering if I want to bother or not.

Reading the reviews of the Smart Synch App on the Apple App Store it seems just as buggy as the last time I used it.
    My other Pioneer (can't recall the model) had a pre CarPlay integration which initially worked with Waze, Google Maps and some other apps - now it only seems to work with NavMii which is OK but limiting.

If you are a user I'd be interested to hear your experience but I appreciate the suggestions regardless. :thumbsup:

4. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Yes, I have the 510 and the app works great for me using Waze and Spotify. Haven’t had any issues. Really happy with what it can do in a single din unit, especially at the price.

I went for the 510 as I wanted the multi colour illumination so I can match the colour to the car’s interior lighting.

I also didn’t really need the CD player but as there was no real difference in price I chose the CD version, just in case ;)

I installed the mic that comes with it and the hands free also works well for phone calls.

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    Cheers for that - I'm a bit wary of the heavy integration after my AppRadio enabled Pioneer got progressively harder to use as Apple messed with the connectivity and interfaces and Pioneer lost interest in supporting it. When Apple went to lightning connectors I had to spend >£100 on an interface box and £30 on a Lightning to VGA adapter which left a bitter taste!
    They've dropped support for my HU in the current version of Smart Synch entirely - I redownloaded it last night but it doesn't want to talk to the HU at all.

I'll see if I can get my hands on one to play with and try the vanilla BT connection as well as the tighter integration.

Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

6. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I believe the Pioneer Smart Sync is a new app for the very latest HUs. They had other, different apps previously for other HUs

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    You might be right - I downloaded it last night from the App Store and I can't recall exactly what the option was. In the past I had the Pioneer App Radio thing installed, I thought I just reloaded the same thing but perhaps it was new and I didn't notice. I seldom use the App Store and it seems to be subtly different each time I do ;)
    NavMii just talks directly between my iPhone 6 and the HU so there's no need for another app.
    Mostly I just use standard Bluetooth for music and the once in a blue moon call. I only fire up the full integration for long journeys or if I'm relying on the Nav to find somewhere I've not been before.

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    Just upgraded iOS on my phone and discovered that broke the Alpine>Apple iPod to lightning connection. Thanks a bunch Apple :facepalm:
    I'd forgotten how terrible FM radio is in terms of choice, sound quality and user experience - "Who's this?"
    "Just look on the display"
    "Radio 1?"

Pioneer DEH-S510BT is on it's way - spent the extra £25 as it looks a bit classier and I'll never remember it cost more. I also went for a CD player as I couldn't think of a downside other than the extra £5.