Single Din 7" Sat Nav

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by tritoch, Jan 10, 2012.

1. tritoch

tritoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All.

I've had an Alpine IVA D310R & NVE N099P Sat Nav Unit for around 5 years now. As a taxi driver, this has been used daily and with the flaws I've found, I'm looking to move away from this unit.

When it works, it's beautiful...

I started out with the Z002 Smart Map Pro Software, When the Z004 software update came out, I upgraded and used it happily. Since then, the disc managed to get scratched due to speed bumps I think and 2 years ago I bought the Z005 DVD as the result of a scratched disc. You have to realise, these updates are nothing short of £200 a go.

My Z005 DVD now has a deep scratch and I can't for the life of me figure out where this has come from.

I tried to put in the old Z004 and it refused to work stating Map Data Unreadable... So I popped in the Z002 and again, same thing. (Z002 is unscratched and has been well looked after).

I looked around the net and found that once you pop in a new disc, it updates the firmware rendering the old discs useless.

So... I called Alpine and the chap I spoke to swore he'd never heard of this before but I could send my Unit and DVD's over to him and he'd attempt to downgrade the firmware costing me £50 regardless of whether or not it works.

The way I see it, this is becoming an expensive investment and thus my system is now for sale.

Now, I am looking for a replacement 7" Single Din System.

A friend of mine has been running his Meos MC701B system for about 3 years now and swears by it. Same features as mine but the map updates cost a fraction of the price and are stored on an SD Card as opposed to a scratchable DVD Disk...

So my question to you is, do I go for the Meos, a similar alternative or are there flaws with these systems?

Does anyone have the Meos system and if so, what is the GPS Reception like?

My budget is around £400 for a new system so please feel free to suggest your thoughts with reasons please ;)

Kindest Regards,

Tritoch.

2. tritoch

tritoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thought I'd bump this thread as the above still applies and am now considering a single din motorised sat nav unit again.

Any recommendations at all?...

3. martUK

martUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    How about keeping your screen and replacing the navi with the alpine m300 flash card based navi. So no more scratched disc issues