Single component output to two displays.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Jeff D, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'm about to add an Infocus 4805 projector to my home theatre system which currently has a plasma display. The plasma is fed from the single component output from my Denon 3803 amp which has component input from my Denon 2900 DVD player and S video from my Sky + box. The 3803 handles the upconversion and source switching which works very well.

The plasma will be used most of the time but a 6ft. wide screen will come down in front to use the projector on 'blockbuster movie nights'.

As both the plasma and projector will need to display SDTV and DVD (not at the same time!) I need to split or switch the component output from the amp to either display in turn without degrading the signal.

Ideas on how to do this would be very much appreciated as it would be very unsatisfactory to keep pulling plugs in and out. I see that Keene do a 4 input 2 output component switchbox which might do the trick but I'm not sure if this will reduce signal quality. Is there a simple device that will split one signal into two equal ones or even a manual switch?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You probably can use the standard passive manual AV switches (yellow, red and white RCA connectors).

3. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Reiner
    Thanks for your reply. It would seem a simple manual switch would be the answer over the more expensive hi-tech solutions. Unfortunately, I've not been able to source one. Does anybody know where these can be bought (preferably in UK)?

4. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Hello all

The Zektor HDS4 and HDS4.2 will do what you both require - and definitely wont mess up your video signals.

The HDS4 is a 4 Input 1 Output YUV (or RGBHV) 'passive' switcher with Digital audio that can also be wired in 'Reverse' to give you 1 In 4 out Distribution box (though only to one output at a time) - all controlled by IR and the unit acts like a learning remote so your AV Receivers remote can switch it with ease.

The higher cost HDS4.2 is a 4 Input 2 Output switcher that has buffered outputs on Output 2 to drive long video cables - ideal when you have a local monitor plus a ceiling mounted projector (Note : Both outputs are always active on the HDS4.2).

Se http://www.zektor.com

Best regards

Joe

(PS I'm biased as we import them to the UK/Europe).

6. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have seen the Keene matrix switcher on their website and it looks like it will do the job (if you can stand the green colour!). The Scancom unit looks OK but if you don't need simultaneous output to both video sources, you only need a switch.

The HDS4 looks the best to me but is still quite pricey compared to my modest budget. So I have just taken a chance and bought a 4:2 component matrix switch similar to the Keene unit but at half the price and in black (OK I know the colour of the box isn't that important) from an E bay power seller in America for almost half the price of the Keene unit and with higher quoted bandwidth. Ordered it Thursday, got it today! I've yet to try it out as I haven't installed my projector yet but I can let you know how it performs when I have it up and running.