Single best bit of 3D you have seen so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly the same here, I loved JTTCOTE and have watched it so many times. Its the sort of film I wouldnt normally have dreamt of watching but gave it a go because it was 3D and was instantly hooked. I would love to see it in proper 3D, hopefully they will release it.

A few months ago I got a 3D projector, and have not used my 3D TV since (not in 3D anyway - its a superb HDTV in its own right) The novelty has still not worn off whatsoever. The only downside is I cant seem to make the 2d-3D conversion work with my projector - no idea why.

To really appreciate 3D I think you need to have something of the showman in you.I would also say the same goes for those with a projector.I would certainly look at a projector if I had the space and my family felt the same way about films I do.

I don't think JTTCOTE would be a favourite with most.Its a relaxed,more pedestrian filmthat gives you the opportunity to take in the atmosphere of the settings.It blends old and new very well,and is perhaps a little underestimated because of it.3D just adds to these qualities.I certainly hope it is released in true 3D.

I don't think JTTCOTE would be a favourite with most.Its a relaxed,more pedestrian filmthat gives you the opportunity to take in the atmosphere of the settings.It blends old and new very well,and is perhaps a little underestimated because of it.3D just adds to these qualities.I certainly hope it is released in true 3D.
I've seen the reverse enginereed version and it's very impressive indeed.

Only got to watch the first 10mins (too many shouts of "I've already seen it!!") so can only assume the main stream of the film is REALLY impressive :thumbsup:

I went for the Optoma HD600X with the 3DXL adapter - combined cost was about £650 - less than I paid for my 3dTV

Ive had it about 3 months now and still find it jaw dropping

Ah i see, thats a 720p projector which is why i held off from it!

Ive been waiting for the 1080p 3D projectors to release they are all starting to come out from this friday starting with the Optoma and then the Epson! Before this the only ones that were available were really expensive starting with the sony hd30 at £3k, but these new ones will be in the £1k range!

Cant wait to get mine set up, i have over 20 3D blurays, but only seen like 9-10 of them, will watch them all again on the projector though :D

I've seen the reverse enginereed version and it's very impressive indeed.

Only got to watch the first 10mins (too many shouts of "I've already seen it!!") so can only assume the main stream of the film is REALLY impressive :thumbsup:

Ah,I won't press any further,but it's encouraging to know it's looks good.

I am tempted to watch it 2D to 3D,but I must try and resist.I don't want to be disappointed,although I think it would certainly challenge the anaglyph version in many areas.

I am tempted to watch it 2D to 3D,but I must try and resist.I don't want to be disappointed,although I think it would certainly challenge the anaglyph version in many areas.
No; don't do that. The 3D depth is identical to the Tricolor version but just looks a hell of a sight better.

One of my real hates is to watch something in converted 2D only to discover I could have watched it in true 3D (or at least a professional conversion).

No; don't do that. The 3D depth is identical to the Tricolor version but just looks a hell of a sight better.

One of my real hates is to watch something in converted 2D only to discover I could have watched it in true 3D (or at least a professional conversion).

I'm looking at the case now,but it's staying firmly on the shelf,just in time!

Turtle's Tale is the best 3D I have seen so far, when viewed on both Panny GT30b plasma TV and Sony HW30 PJ. Loads of very cool pop out effects and very good depth.

Turtle's Tale is the best 3D I have seen so far, when viewed on both Panny GT30b plasma TV and Sony HW30 PJ. Loads of very cool pop out effects and very good depth.

Me and the mr's said when we first watched it was the best 3d film we had watched up till that piont and we'd watched alot, they really did put some effort into that one :)

dllord said:
Jackass 3 is on sky3d and looks very cool in 3d!

I rented that from Lovefilm,and I couldn't tell the difference from the 2D :D

I rented that from Lovefilm,and I couldn't tell the difference from the 2D :D

Are you sure you had the 3D turned on? and were just not watching 2d mode with your glasses on! :laugh:

Im saying that because I watched this in cinema and at home aswell, and i found it quite good! There is some really good 3D scenes in it where things fly out of the screen! The best ones are in the start credits with the paintball gun firing bullets towards you and also the end sequence when the house parts start exploding!

I also have Lion King 3D, watched some bits of it but not the whole film, it seemed quite reasonably good with obviously no popout effects because its converted, had some good depth though!

So far I have watched the following animation movies in 3D: A turtle Tale: Sammy's Adventures; Legend of the Guardians; Gnomeo and Juliet; Rio; Despicable Me; Tangled; Open Season; Animals United; Ice Age 3 and I would like to rank them, maybe it will be helpful to someone.

As Demo-Material I choose Sammy's Adventures, when it's about the pop-out effects, which are many and very good throughout the whole movie (the crab scene and the one with the pink jellyfish in the dark are the first which come to mind). But for the best over-all 3D experience (depth, detail, colors, (almost) no crosstalk and ghosting) I play Legend of the Guardians and Open Season. These two, although lacking pop-up effects, I consider to be the best examples for 3D (the slow-motion flying scenes and especially the battle ones in Legend of the Guardians are spectacular).

Climbing down the ladder, I would say that Tangled, Animals United and Despicable Me deliver, in this order, great 3D performances. Although it has great 3D, I would not advice you to buy Animals United, first of all, because it is very very very boring and secondly, it's also not full screen. Better to buy Tangled/Despicable Me, which are fun movies, full-screen and you will enjoy re-watching them over and over again, especially in 3D.

Pretty far behind them, I place Gnomeo and Juliet and behind it, Rio.

At the bottom-end I would place Ice Age which I found to be almost like the 2D version, but veeeeryyy disturbing for my eyes.

Tomorrow I will watch Megamind; curious where will it fit.

Got my tv coming soon might stock up on a few titles, sammys adventure is on £12 on amazon at the minute

So far I have watched the following animation movies in 3D: A turtle Tale: Sammy's Adventures; Legend of the Guardians; Gnomeo and Juliet; Rio; Despicable Me; Tangled; Open Season; Animals United; Ice Age 3 and I would like to rank them, maybe it will be helpful to someone.

As Demo-Material I choose Sammy's Adventures, when it's about the pop-out effects, which are many and very good throughout the whole movie (the crab scene and the one with the pink jellyfish in the dark are the first which come to mind). But for the best over-all 3D experience (depth, detail, colors, (almost) no crosstalk and ghosting) I play Legend of the Guardians and Open Season. These two, although lacking pop-up effects, I consider to be the best examples for 3D (the slow-motion flying scenes and especially the battle ones in Legend of the Guardians are spectacular).

Climbing down the ladder, I would say that Tangled, Animals United and Despicable Me deliver, in this order, great 3D performances. Although it has great 3D, I would not advice you to buy Animals United, first of all, because it is very very very boring and secondly, it's also not full screen. Better to buy Tangled/Despicable Me, which are fun movies, full-screen and you will enjoy re-watching them over and over again, especially in 3D.

Pretty far behind them, I place Gnomeo and Juliet and behind it, Rio.

At the bottom-end I would place Ice Age which I found to be almost like the 2D version, but veeeeryyy disturbing for my eyes.

Tomorrow I will watch Megamind; curious where will it fit.

I was completely turned off by the aspect ratio and the black borders of Megamind! It really prevented the 3D from sparkling! To be honest movies that release in 3D and in that aspect ratio should automatically be banned and should need to be changed before releasing on 3D for home cinemas! As it does nothing but frustrate the viewing audience and purchaser, the 3D effect is also limited because of this on some movies, if on the other hand it had a fullscreen 3D effect the experience would be altogether different!

I was completely turned off by the aspect ratio and the black borders of Megamind! It really prevented the 3D from sparkling! To be honest movies that release in 3D and in that aspect ratio should automatically be banned and should need to be changed before releasing on 3D for home cinemas! As it does nothing but frustrate the viewing audience and purchaser, the 3D effect is also limited because of this on some movies, if on the other hand it had a fullscreen 3D effect the experience would be altogether different!
Here here.
Nothing worse than them silly black bars on a 3d films, your right and it really does kill the 3d affect.

One of the strangest films i've watched was G-force, that too had the black borders but every now and again the 3d makers made the gerbils come out of the screen and over the black bars which shocked me at first as what the hell, it was cool but hey i'd prefer full screen 3d any day!

I'd rather not have aspect ratio changes forced on me, thanks.

3D or 2D I want the film in the same ratio as it was in the cinema, black bars or no.

The Black bars are annoying full stop, whether it be in 3D or not. Why don't they just build TVs in the same aspect ratio as cinema screens :)

The Black bars are annoying full stop, whether it be in 3D or not. Why don't they just build TVs in the same aspect ratio as cinema screens :)

Yes exactly, you would think they would have the brain to think of this after all these years! Unfortunately, it still has not happened! No movie should have black bars! But specifically for 3D it should be almost illegal! I hope the studios take notice of this in there future 3D releases and copy Avatars aspect ratio, as its blatantly obvious would they need to focus on to get it right!

I think Philips or someone did make a TV with a 2:35 aspect ratio.

Wouldn't fancy watching anything else on it though:)

So you'd rather have parts of the picture chopped off either side than have black bars and see the whole thing?

I'd rather watch the complete film in the correct aspect ratio any day.

Most blu-ray players have a Zoom function anyway so you still have the full screen viewing option if that's what you really want.

Simply a case of choosing the best options available.

So you'd rather have parts of the picture chopped off either side than have black bars and see the whole thing?

Obviously you can't have both so my preference would be that I had Black bars on the side for watching things like Eastenders :) and full screen viewing for my Blu rays etc. But then you have the problem of all the films that you have bought already are in the correct ratio for your current TV will have black bars left and right on a cinema ratio screen :rolleyes: The only real solution is 2 TVs :laugh:

I would rather have no black bars along with the full screen, with the sides left intact! Filmakers just need to keep that in mind while filming like James Cameron did for avatar!

Anyhow, why the hell do animation flicks have black borders - that makes absolutely no sense! Surely they can fit everything on the screen without having to chop off any of the picture?!

I've kept reading all these reviews of Ice Age 3D which claim it to be very very good in terms of 3D, but I can't understand all the fuss about it. When I play it, I notice this annoying, eye-hearting effect, which I don't know how to describe, but it is most noticeable when the characters are moving .. the character's image it's not that clear, especially around the edges and it becomes also a little brighter. Same thing happens when I run Gulliver's travels. Besides these two, all other 3D blu-rays I own/seen, do not present this problem. Could anyone confirm/infirm this "effect" by these movies ? Could it also be possible that I got a bad copy of the Ice Age ?

I wouldn't say ice age 3 is the best in terms of 3d but its OK. It definately did not look how you describe it though, on my TV it was crisp and clear throughout, Gulliver's travels was also OK on my TV, shame about the film itself.

has any one seen Lion King 3D yet on bluray or on their home cinema? I wanted to know if you are getting two small black border strips down the left and right sides?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom