Single 4K HDMI output on AV so will a 'normal' splitter get a signal to a projector 10m away?

INXS

Might treat myself to a 1080p projector and fancy screen in the new year but don't want to get a new AV just to have two HDMI outputs.

As you can see from my sig, I have the Sony STRDH790.

Forgive my ignorance, but is a POWERED splitter necessary to get the signal to the projector - which is likely to be at the end of a 10m cable?!

Thanks in advance folks.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A 'passive' HDMI Distribution Amp (splitter) has to 'steal' power from somewhere, in this case from your AVR; which may or may not have enough voltage on its HDMI Output to power the Splitter, drive the long HDMI cable and power the chip in the Projector (which is what the power is intended for).

If you want to keep your system reliable it is always advisable to instal an HDMI 'splitter' which has external power.

Joe

INXS

A 'passive' HDMI Distribution Amp (splitter) has to 'steal' power from somewhere, in this case from your AVR; which may or may not have enough voltage on its HDMI Output to power the Splitter, drive the long HDMI cable and power the chip in the Projector (which is what the power is intended for).

If you want to keep your system reliable it is always advisable to instal an HDMI 'splitter' which has external power.

Joe

Gracias senor - I'll make use of the powered USB output on the AV Amp

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Just be aware you can run into strange issues using USB sockets on kit - give it a go but have a Plan B which utilises an external PSU.

Joe

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Might treat myself to a 1080p projector and fancy screen in the new year but don't want to get a new AV just to have two HDMI outputs.

As you can see from my sig, I have the Sony STRDH790.

Forgive my ignorance, but is a POWERED splitter necessary to get the signal to the projector - which is likely to be at the end of a 10m cable?!

Thanks in advance folks.

Do you want to use both at the same time ?

If not you do not need a splitter. Just a HDMI switch with one input. with two outputs usually labelled A and B. Say the TV is connected to A and the projector to B .

To watch the TV set input to out A , To watch the projector set input to out B.

No splitting required. Just a direct handshake over what is now effectiively a single cable.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom