Singin in the rain comes to blu

<3 one of my favorite musicals. I cant wait!

My Favourite musical BUT 2012! jesus don't Warner bros know the worlds going to end then, I want it before then :)

I caught this the other day on Film4 and was reminded just how perfect Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds are

The greatest musical film in my opinion, and a damn fine romantic comedy even without the iconic songs.
It always seems like a New Year's Eve/Day film to me for some reason. I think it might have always been on tv at that time when I was a kid. long wait though 2012.

Another must have for me too. I've always been rooting for the hilarious Jean Hagen over the insipid Debbie Reynolds though.

Has anyone bought the UK release of this?

Its £8 @ HMV but the review left there doesn't sound good :

I bought this Blu-ray last Friday. This is not a quality disc. My DVD copy has a far superior picture. I suspect this 8 copy is an NTSC transfer. Don't be tempted to buy this version. Go for the higher priced copy.

So I ordered this one from Amazon marketplace and have just had an email stating :

I am writing to you to let you know that due to a listing error on Amazon the version of the Bluray we have is only the original film, and is not the 60th anniversary edition. The item also does not include the DVD as is described in the listing.

Obviously I don't want a dodgy release, can anyone shed light on this?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Its £8 @ HMV but the review left there doesn't sound good :

So I ordered this one from Amazon marketplace and have just had an email stating :

Obviously I don't want a dodgy release, can anyone shed light on this?

Both exactly the same disc, same excellent transfer as the US release. The UK 60th Anniversary UCE should contain the BD and supplements, a CD of the soundtrack and a hardbacked booklet. The Amazon Marketplace seller simply listed it incorrectly - if you buy the cheaper version and just want the film and supplemental features, go for it.

If it's the same transfer as the US one then there's nothing to worry about:
Yes, I've seen the US disc reviews (it looks great) and did consider buying it numerous times before the UK release came out. I would also expect the disc to be exactly the same as the US disc however this isn't always the case (Citizen Kane).

That review you've linked to doesn't say what the problem is but here's another one from Amazon complaining about it not being WS and having lots of digital noise:

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Singin' in the Rain [Blu-ray] [1952][Region Free]
I've fully factored in the Amazon (in this case HMV) amateur reviewer (aka bellend) factor when reading the review which was why I was hoping a trusted AVF member had the disc for a proper opinion.

I think I may well bite the bullet though, the NTSC transfer comment did set the bellend alarm bells ringing. :laugh:

Both exactly the same disc, same excellent transfer as the US release. The UK 60th Anniversary UCE should contain the BD and supplements, a CD of the soundtrack and a hardbacked booklet. The Amazon Marketplace seller simply listed it incorrectly - if you buy the cheaper version and just want the film and supplemental features, go for it.
That'll do me. :smashin:

Just incase you get moaned at it's not a hardback - amazon keep changing the description but never get it quite right and the wonderful amazon reviewers are up in arms!

Last edited:
Just incase you get moaned at it's not a hardback - amazon keep changing the description but never get it quite right and the wonderful amazon reviewers are up in arms!

Ah! There's a pic of the set here.

That's a terrible picture! Where did you get it?

(It's mine :blush:)

Yes, I've seen the US disc reviews (it looks great) and did consider buying it numerous times before the UK release came out. I would also expect the disc to be exactly the same as the US disc however this isn't always the case (Citizen Kane).

I've fully factored in the Amazon (in this case HMV) amateur reviewer (aka bellend) factor when reading the review which was why I was hoping a trusted AVF member had the disc for a proper opinion.

I think I may well bite the bullet though, the NTSC transfer comment did set the bellend alarm bells ringing. :laugh:
One good thing about your question...it spurred me on to order this, it had completely slipped my mind, the BD not the film.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom