• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Singapore River Boat Trip

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
So last night we met up with some old friends at Boat Quay in Singapore. Afterwards my wife suggested we take a trip on the river down to Marina Bay and back, a trip we'd done many years ago. All these shots are pretty much SOOC, just a bit of straightening and cropping in some cases. Shots were with the 5DIII and 135L, all handheld from the moving boat and high ISO around 6400, so rather grainy (no NR applied) and I think it works in most cases. I plan to return to the bay with my tripod later in the week to take a few shots from dry land. C&C welcome as always.

IMG_8513.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8514.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8500.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

#4 The Merlion
IMG_8534.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

#5 The Esplanade with yet another high-rise building going up in the distance.
IMG_8540.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8544.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

#7 The Singapore Flyer - we still haven't been on it!!
IMG_8546.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8548.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

#9 Esplanade again...
IMG_8555.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8560.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

#11 Marina Bay Sands. They put on a laser-light show every evening from around 7:45pm.
IMG_8563.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8575.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8579.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8604.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

IMG_8622.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

#16 The 135L has beautiful bokeh
IMG_8625.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

#17 The Fullterton Hotel shrouded by the Marina Bay Sands
IMG_8504.jpg by BubbleDouble, on Flickr

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
1,3,7,13 and 14 for me Darren but a nice set :)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Some nice shots there, especially 7 and 13 for me. They could all do with some PP though to make them pop a bit more as they look a touch flat and washed out imo, if I'm being picky ;)

Edit:I wrote this post this morning but it didn't post. They look better on the iphone than they did on my laptop in terms of washed out/contrast. Have you tweaked them since this morning? ;)

shotokan101

Banned
"If"

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
Some nice shots there, especially 7 and 13 for me. They could all do with some PP though to make them pop a bit more as they look a touch flat and washed out imo, if I'm being picky ;)

Edit:I wrote this post this morning but it didn't post. They look better on the iphone than they did on my laptop in terms of washed out/contrast. Have you tweaked them since this morning? ;)

Thanks. They haven't been "tweaked" since I posted them, I simply added a few descriptions to them. Don't forget they were shot at ISO 6400 from a moving boat, so might not be as sharp as they could be. Even if I reduce the noise, they'll look less sharp overall. I don't have the time for pp while on holiday either :p

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Thanks. They haven't been "tweaked" since I posted them, I simply added a few descriptions to them. Don't forget they were shot at ISO 6400 from a moving boat, so might not be as sharp as they could be. Even if I reduce the noise, they'll look less sharp overall. I don't have the time for pp while on holiday either :p
Yeah, I was being picky, but I know what your usual standard is like. The noise is impressive for 6400.

Now back on my laptop (which is calibrated :p) I stand by my original comments, but as I say it is picky and I do realise the ISO. Don't blame you for not PP'ing on hol, I wouldn't even be bothered to post them at all if I were away ;)

shotokan101

Banned
"we noticed" :devil:

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I was being picky, but I know what your usual standard is like. The noise is impressive for 6400.

Now back on my laptop (which is calibrated :p) I stand by my original comments, but as I say it is picky and I do realise the ISO. Don't blame you for not PP'ing on hol, I wouldn't even be bothered to post them at all if I were away ;)

I appreciate you have a "calibrated" monitor (mine isn't), but at the end of the day photography is not always about text-book perfection :D

shotokan101

Banned
......Hmmmmm Interesting Observation.... :D

snerkler

Distinguished Member
I appreciate you have a "calibrated" monitor (mine isn't), but at the end of the day photography is not always about text-book perfection :D
Very true, some very good photos can be poor technically. It was only constructive criticism, I thought we were safe to RIA your pics :devil: :D

shotokan101

Banned
"we" are ;) :D

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
Very true, some very good photos can be poor technically. It was only constructive criticism, I thought we were safe to RIA your pics :devil: :D

Yes, of course all C&C is welcome. Whether it's "safe" for you to do so is another question....:devil::rotfl:

Prize78

Prominent Member
Lovely set Darren. 10, 15 and 17 for me. How's that 135L??

FlyingShrapnel

Prominent Member
different to everyone else, 4,6,13,16 for me :confused:

i dont find skyscrapers pretty :D

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom