Sin City: The Ultimate Box Set or Sin City Recut & Extended (unrated)?

delacroix_89

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have both and care to share they're opinions regarding which is the better of the two and for what reason?

Which country released the Ultimate Boxset?

It has Chinese subs, so i assume it's a chinese release. All the extra's seem to be in English tho :thumbsup:

Ah I think you are referring to the 3 Disc Region 3 release that is on CDWow for £17.99

I dont have either but I think some people may prefer the R3 release because it includes DTS audio on both the Theatrical and Recut/Extended Edition where as the R1 US release only has DTS on the Theatrical cut and the R3 release has the extras put on their own disc instead of being spread around on the films discs like with the US release.

But saying that the US R1 release does come with a nice comic book :smashin:

Thanks Indiana :thumbsup: I was veering towards the R3 one and now i'm even more inclined to do so.

Anyone else want to put they're two cents in?

I didn't enjoy the original movie but that is because SinCity is a favorite graphic novel of mine and I found it hard to see beyond the awful interpretation to cellulite, sorry, celluloid. I thought the performances were wooden and Clive Owen was especially bad.

The original R3 release was not a progressive transfer, and was subject to a lot of ghosting. I'm not sure if its the same for the Ultimate Edition, but it may be worth considering.

If you're thinking of getting the extended R1 of Sin City, make sure you don't get the Canadian R1: it's quite inferior to the US R1 (have a Google).

I have the Canadian version (which playUSA sent me), it has no DTS but I didn't think it missed much else. :confused:

Anyway, The 3 disk looks cool, but the graphic novel that comes with the R1 version more than makes up for it!, and its a brilliant set anyway.

Indiana Jones said:
I dont have either but I think some people may prefer the R3 release because it includes DTS audio on both the Theatrical and Recut/Extended Edition where as the R1 US release only has DTS on the Theatrical cut and the R3 release has the extras put on their own disc instead of being spread around on the films discs like with the US release.:
Hey Indy

Are you sure on that? CD Wow list it as only DTS ES audio on the theatrical version. If it is has defo has got DTS on both I may pick it up.
Otherwise it looks like the only difference is DTS on R1 or DTS ES on R3 on theatricals with D 5.1 on recut.

enablerbro1 said:
I didn't enjoy the original movie but that is because SinCity is a favorite graphic novel of mine and I found it hard to see beyond the awful interpretation to cellulite, sorry, celluloid. I thought the performances were wooden and Clive Owen was especially bad.

Isn't this the point of the movie :confused:
They're supposed to be stereotypical characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and found it was a sheer rollacoaster joyride from start to finish that left me with a satisfied smile on my face all night. :thumbsup:

The long graphic novel is a serous bonus for this movie as RR says in one of his interviews that he used it exactly for his movie storyboards. This in itself makes fun reading after the movie to see how faithfully the movie stuck, not just to the story, but also to the look and feel of the novel.

So in closing, I say go for the R1 edition, you know you want to. :smashin:

rmoxon said:
I have the Canadian version (which playUSA sent me), it has no DTS but I didn't think it missed much else. :confused:

It also has burned-in French titles for each (extended) story. It's a bit rubbish.

KevD said:
Hey Indy

Are you sure on that? CD Wow list it as only DTS ES audio on the theatrical version. If it is has defo has got DTS on both I may pick it up.
Otherwise it looks like the only difference is DTS on R1 or DTS ES on R3 on theatricals with D 5.1 on recut.
You are correct, I think I was reading it a little fast and just noticed the D and 5.1 and assumed DTS.

I was just wondering though, because the US release has the extra features spread out over the two discs the bitrate of the films must have suffered but considering the R3 release has all the extras on their own disc, does that mean the films will get a higher bitrate?

Indiana Jones said:
You are correct, I think I was reading it a little fast and just noticed the D and 5.1 and assumed DTS.

I was just wondering though, because the US release has the extra features spread out over the two discs the bitrate of the films must have suffered but considering the R3 release has all the extras on their own disc, does that mean the films will get a higher bitrate?
I dont know how much of a difference the ES soundtrack makes in the bitrate.

The main (unextended) film on disc 1 of the set does indeed have a lower bitrate than the standalone single-disc version because of extra features that have been added to the disc. It's a minute difference, but it's there.

enablerbro1 said:

If you loved the graphic novels then how could you not like the film?, it was almost a perfect replica and everybody in the cast was perfectly in tone with the comics...

If you didn't like it, ok fine, but your comment didn't make much sense really.

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like it'll be the R1 release that i'll end up getting :)

I got both the standalon theatrical and this 3 disc R3 version when it was released....i actually preffered the theatrical version. I think it was because of the flow of the narrative and the chopping and changing of intermixed plots....the new version made it feel a bit like a tv show with episodes to watch in order.

Rich

I felt the oposite of that, I actually prefered them seperate becuase I didn't think the pace of the film held up that well with the 4 different stories in place as they were. Also I liked all the extra footage in the extended versions, and I just feel that they were all designed as singular stiories and thats how they work best here. That Yellow Bastard is the best example of this, becuase as it now it dosent have a lot of its begining scenes removed, and so plays better and is better paced becuase of it.

Dunno, but whenever I've tried to order Scandinavian versions of dvds that Wow has listed (Alexander etc) they never sodding have them/can get them in stock :/

eviljohn2 said:
What's the deal with the Svensk version of the Recut Sin City? It's quite a bit cheaper at £13.99. :)

http://www2.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=262326&subcat=region2

Doesn't include the graphic novel. It may include DTS on both cuts (unlike R1), but I don't think this has been confirmed.

Edit - dvdcompare states it has DTE-ES over the R1 DTS. Probably only on the Orignal cut though.

Dunno, but whenever I've tried to order Scandinavian versions of dvds that Wow has listed (Alexander etc) they never sodding have them/can get them in stock :/

Also states they are re pressing disc 2 to add more subs. This might be the reason for delay.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom