Sin City Premiere Photos

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by johntaylor, Jun 2, 2005.

1. johntaylor

johntaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyones interested here are some photos from the premiere of Sin City at Leicester Sq. I didn't get to see the movie unfortunately, just one of the red carpet photographers. I shot these in B&W, on a D1H (would have used a D1x but its just not fast enough for this situation) I didn't use my own flash for these pics. If you use a slow enough shutter speed you pick up ths flashes from all the other cameras which gives good lighting effects. Its a very hit and miss affair though! I took about 600 frames and these 10 were the only ones to catch someone elses flash. I was tyring to get the premiere pics to look a bit like the film stills, not a particulary easy task. I wasnt actually commisioned by anyone that night, if I had been and had just sent them these photos, I would have been sacked!

Attached Files:

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good shots John & thanks for the tip about using others flash :smashin: . I actually prefer the lighting effect it gives.

3. johntaylor

johntaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dave, the technique is unfortunately only really usable to pro photographers. There has to be s*!t loads of flashguns going off to be able to get someone elses flash. But this is how it works. Set shutter speed to about 1/30 sec, anything else is going to render most of your photos blurred, especially on 70-200mm lens. Set yout aperture to F5.6 as this is generally the flash output that most of the other photographers will be using. I use maual focus, get your pic composed and in focus as someone stands still for about 5 secs! then just blast away, keep your finger on the shutter button! when its done, check your pics, probabaly about 99% will be unusable! hopefully 1 or 2 will have registered another flash.

Similar results are now being obtained by wireless flash systems, but in a situation like a film premiere its very dificult to set up a wireless flash.

John

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for sharing those john.

Realise that on occations where you need the money shot, a zoom can be a life safer. Have you ever used primes for nights where you've caught without a flash/not workin.

How does the D1H handle high iso's?

Thanks for sharing

5. johntaylor

johntaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi seany, when I was doing Sin City I was not actually employed by anyone on the night, that's the only reason why i shot it as i did. I had no client to worry about and was only working to sell shots via syndication, if I was working on commision I would have played it safe and shot everything with flash.

I dont generally use prime lenses myself, (apart from 300mm) I use 2 bodies, D1X, D1H, with flashguns SB80DX powered by Quantum battery, Nikon 28-80 f2.8 and Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR. These lenses are are pretty sharp, probably not as sharp as primes, but not far of and yes they are very handy. When shooting a premiere youre supposed to get full lengths of the ladies in their dresses, half length and tight head shots, so you need the versatility of a zoom.

I dont usually get caught out with a broken flash, it has happened, but ive got two so i can just revert to using one body.

The D1H I have never personally used beyond 800 ISO for a job. I will allways try and get round having to use it beyond that ISO setting by some means. Its not great at 800 and after that its pretty bad.