1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simultaneous SPDIF and analogue out

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by starfire, Nov 23, 2004.

1. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

Does anyone know of a soundcard that can both pass-thru AC3/DTS to the SPDIF for decoding by an external decoder/amp AND simultaneously output a stereo downmix to analogue (phono) outputs?

I would like this as sometimes I watch films via my projector with the full 5.1 surround system going, and other times via the TV only and having to switch manually by going into the property page for the audio codec isn't very wife friendly :)

Or has anyone come up with a good solution to the above that can be achieved via remote control? I run everything via a myHTPC frontend and Zoomplayer.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Simon.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The RME cards do this.

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As does my MAudio Audiophile 24/96. Can only confirm for PCM though - don't use DD/DTS pass thru.

4. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks, I will try and find more information about these cards, but I have a workaround for the time being: using regedit to update a registry flag for my dvd codec which switches SPDIF off/on, which when driven from my frontend has a high WAF factor :thumbsup:

5. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hey starfire just wondering which codec you use and the reg keys? The nforce board audio I used to have in my HTPC had no problems doing simulataneus analogue and spdif PCM out.. but the Live! 5.1 I've got at the moment only allows one option.

I have been looking for a way to change the spdif setting in windows sound control panel using a shorcut but have come up enpty handed thus far.

6. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm using the sonic cinemaster dvd decoder pack, can't give you the registry entries as they're at home and I'm at work.

But ultimately, with most of this windows stuff when you change the options in a control panel or something it just updates a registry key, so simply record the registry before and after making the change and you'll soon find out what key it is.