1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simultaneous Hi/Lo Sub Input setup

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bjcol, Jan 28, 2004.

1. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought myself an MJ Ref 100 sub and finally got it setup last night by Phil Green who I bought it off. I'm using it in my music/av system.

When we first setup the sub we just put in the Hi level Speakon input which is wired to the speaker outputs in parallel. We set the phase to 90 degrees, the crossover to 75Hz (My main bookshelf speakers only go down to 70Hz) and then adjusted the gain whilst playing the Gladiator soundtrack on CD. I was really impressed with the results and can’t believe what I’ve been missing out on.

Next up I hooked up a QED subwoofer cable from the ‘sub out’ on my processor to the ‘right’ low level input on the sub. My main (front) speakers on the processor (Sony EP9ES) are set to Large and the rest (centre & rears) are small and cut off at 80Hz. I set the subwoofer to ‘Yes’ on my processor.

Here’s where I’m a little confused as to what to do, as you can see I’ve got both input hooked up and the processors crossover managing the bass. I’ve read on the forum that it’s not a good idea to use the crossover in the processor and the sub together so I set the crossover on the sub to LFE (bypass sub crossover). However does this mean that as well as the Lo level input receiving any frequencies the processor sends (up to 120Hz), the Hi level input will also receive anything up to 120Hz? If so I don’t really want the main speakers and sub both doing 70Hz to 120Hz do I?

After a lot of adjusting the low level gain I couldn’t seem to get anything that sounded right and I’m sure because of the Hi level input taking higher frequencies I could locate the sub which I don’t want. I obviously want to get some settings which suit music and movies without the need to remove cables or make adjustments when changing between the two. Can anyone offer me any advice on how I should go about this and if the current setup I have sounds right?

I have come up with an alternative (while driving to work!) which is to set the subwoofer to ‘No’ on the processor and do away with the Lo level input and let the Hi level input take the signal from the Main speakers which are set to ‘Large’ on the processor. Then I can leave my 75Hz crossover setting on the Sub which sounds great with music and not have to worry about fiddling with settings and cables when changing source. I haven’t had time to try this and see what it sounds like yet but your opinions on this option would be appreciated.

Looks like the GF will be sick of the sub by the time I'm finished making adjustments tonight!

2. Neil Porter

Neil Porter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try changing the front speaker size settings from large as this will change the frequencies that get sent out.

I think that the large setting sends a lower set of frequencies but you could send those to the sub via the low level cable instead.