• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Simultaneous dual band - do the networks "see" each other?

gers1978

I'm thinking of getting a simultaneous dual band router, probably the Asus RT-N66U.

As I understand it, they all work by broadcasting one Wireless LAN on the 2.4Ghz band and one on the 5Ghz band. So my 5Ghz capable devices join one WLAN and my non-capable devices join the 2.4ghz one.

My question is will the devices on the 2 different WLANs still be able to "see" each other and share files, etc?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Often on SOHO kit, everything is placed in the same IP subnet, so yes they do "see" each other in much the same way that wi-fi stuff "sees" the wired host even though wi-fi and wired clients are (techically) in separate network (a wired one and a wireless one.)

However, I see that things like "guest" SSID are in the blurb, so you never know, maybe it's capable of creating seprate networks.

I see that it's possible for you to download the manual for you prospective purchase - why don't you do so and have a read...?

Last edited:

gers1978

Thanks, im reading the manual now, it seems the N66U doesn't have a built in ADSL modem, so I'll have to look elsewhere...

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom