Simpsons Box Set

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Does anyone know/understand why the region 2 'Simpsons First Series Box Set' is over twice the price of the region 1 version when as, as far as I can tell, they are identical!

I know prices often differ between regions, but this just seems ridiculous! :(

Cheers for your input...

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Rip off Uk perchance? Perhaps they as know C4 are gonna shell out £700,000 per ep. and then thought we'd go, "Cor, only £30.99p for a whole season". Amazing thing this globalisation; how to screw people over one country at a time.:mad:

3. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I also wondered about the massive price difference when i was about to buy it,thought there must be some difference,but there isn't.So i would have to assume that it is just another UK rip off,they know plenty of people will pay it and until people say no then it will keep on happening.I also wondered why both regions put it on 3 seperate discs when it would have fitted on 1.

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ...so you can borrow the first disk from your mate whilst he's still watching the rest of the season?

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The UK RRP is roughly £10 higher than the US List Price.

The reason that the R1 is available for a lot less than the R2 is because the US wholesale price is a lot lower than the UK and US wholesalers offer higher discounts to stores due to much higher quantity of stock being purchased.

It could have fitted on 1 disc if you wanted really bad picture quality, the season 1 episodes were poorer quality than the later seasons and so required more disc space to help prevent compression problems.

6. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    This would have to be very extremely roughly because the UK RRP is £39.99 and Play sell the R1 for £17.99 and im sure they are not making a loss on it.I still say we are getting seriously ripped off.

Ok,this may be true but assuming a 10GB limit there still doesnt seem to be a need for the 3rd disc.

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't agree that this is the reason for the price difference. Surely if your point was true then that same price difference would apply to all DVDs and not just the Simpsons, whereas in reality you can purchase most other R1 DVDs for less than the R2 version.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    US List Price (aka RRP) is $39.99 (approx £30).

Many R1 discs can be supplied by wholesalers with upto 50% off the list price (for bulk orders). Play also have the advantage that their prices don't include VAT because they are based in Jersey.

R2 discs are rarely supplied with more than 30% off RRP by wholesalers (UK wholesale price for a RRP £20 disc is about £14.50)

9. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Funny how both the good and poor sellers in the US (dvds, cds etc. that sell less there than here even) are still cheaper than here. When you factor in that stuff is made here and materials for discs are dirt cheap the price remains unbalanced. Particularly when you get English dvds/cds being sold in the US with extras even we don't get at less. But you don't get the US companies going "Oh we better make these attractive the UK market", more like "SHID'SHING!".

10. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Slightly off subject - but - any reason why Series 2 of the Simpsons is being released on Region 2, but there is no indication of a Region 1 release (See PLAY.COM).

In the absence of Region 1 we will have to fork out £39.99, and I bet that the Region 1 version will not be to far behind...

...hold on, I think I have fallen into their trap...

Seriously - any ideas on a Region 1 release date?

11. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    R1 Simpsons S2 release.

Note that the rrp is $10 more than the S1 release (22 eps on 4 discs against 13 eps on 3 discs), so don't expect it to be offered by play for under £18.