1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

simply screens!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Spaniard, Jan 31, 2001.

1. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Those of you who have read my earlier thread posted yesterday, " still very confused " will know of my search for a projector and a decent place to demo a few at the same time. It seems however, judging by the massive number of responses that no such place exists! either that or you are all just ignoring me!.....well, how about this one...In an attempt to shift my concerns to a more rewarding area at present I am contemplating sorting out my screen first. Does anyone know the best places to look and what kind to get... All the chat on the avs forum raves about a greyhawk screen that was recently demoed in america but this will probably reach us in two or three years time. I am looking for a screen that will always be in widescreen format and will be between 6ft - 7ft wide. I would like it to have a black border at both sides and if at all possible along the top and bottom. It will ideally be electric as it needs to somehow be hidden behind some construction that I have yet to work out on the main wall in my lounge. As far as white, grey, gain and perforations go I haven't got a clue! Please dont tell me to start nailing bits of material to mdf panels because the wife has only just come around to the whole idea and it needs to go invisible so she can see her favourite monet print!! Any ideas...

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Just read one of your replies earlier about how you hate it when no-one replies to any of your queries.... So here goes.

The screen you choose should depend on several variables. You've already decided two, 16:9 and electric.... Well done.

Now you must decide how you want to control it and where everyone will be watching and in what sort of ambient lighting.

Screen material comes in various types. Ideally it will reflect all wavelengths of light back at all viewers in a consistent manner.

Greyhawk will be available by Easter THIS year I'd hope. It is designed to allow LCD and DLP and D'Ila projectors to produce black levels matching CRT without compromising contrast and colour accuracy. If you have a bright projector and a fully light controlled room then this could be a good option.

I'd have a look at the Screen FAQ I wrote for this site a few months ago then tell us what projector is likely to be used and roughly where everyone is going to be seated relative to the screen then I can give better advice. Oh, and also whether the projector will be floor or ceiling mounted.

Cheers,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !