1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simply Help!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JKDUK, Feb 20, 2005.

1. JKDUK

JKDUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im struggling to choose between the following screens and wondered if anyone could help. Im sure ill get stick - but hey - if it gets me an answer im prepared to take it - = - Trying not to admit hes a noob!

Purpose = DVD, XBOX, PS2, Sky/NTL without any problems but pure quality

Screens Im having difficulty choosing from:

Phillips 42PF9966 42" (Plasma)

Sagem Axium HDD45 45" High Def Ready DLP TV (Rear Proj)

Phillips 37PF9986 37" (LCD) is this HDTV Ready - Its daddy is.

I have passed on the Viera 42" TH42PE30 and the Hitachi equivalent.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, only got 2.8k to spend and must include delivery and at least 3 years warranty which most of the above do.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Kind Regards

Jon

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    if your not looking for hdtv then buy the panasonic pw7 with a decent scaler/deinterlacer.

3. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    best thing to do is go and see them demo'd and pick your fav....do you want a big telly (all in one) or a screen with all the bits and bobs to make it work?
    i wanted a tv and have the 42pf9966 and its fab. happy hunting and go out and see them with your own eyes... :lesson:

4. JKDUK

JKDUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fella's!!!

I want a Big TV and want one that is how most people put it on the Board FUTURE PROOF thats why Im swinging towards the Sagem.

Ive seen some reviews on the bigger older model 50" which has been givne raving reviews except the fact its not HDTV ready which this one is.

Ive been told to get a HDTV if possible as XBOX looks amazing on it.

I need some advice regarding it really, cant find the Phillips Plas 42" or the Sagem in shops at all.

Thats why its hard.

But what I have found is that if I buy from the place im intending to buy either from, they have a 7 day money back garuntee, so if i look after the Sagem (get it 1st as i wish to wall mount the screen) and see how that goes then within 7 days send it back if not happy and get the Philips 42" plasma

Mate do you play console through your Philips Plasma???

Im not looking for componets just as many Scarts as possible, PC if poissible via VGA, all that will be going into it will be Sony DVD Player/5.1 Amp, XBOX, PS2, Gamecube occaisonally and PC if and when required.

So I think the Sagem for 1.9k with 99 pounds 3 year extended warranty HD Ready with stupid res, + some people say its the best picture at the moment - dont know if thats true. But id save nearly 800-900 quid on the plasma if i got the Sagem.

:lease: Help!!!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you want to save money i saw a 14" Brandnew TV for £49.99 the other day... that would save you £1850 on the Sagem.... and warranty would be cheaper too. So forget cost at the moment what to you want from your new System (NOTE System) this is very hard to get your head around but once you realise you are looking at a system it makes a lot of sense......

What do want?

What do you own? (sky, AV amp Consoles etc) need model numbers for DVD etc

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    JK,

You've got lots of different sources and are going to be struggling sending their outputs into most plasmas, or indeed RPTVs or whatever. The beauty of a scaler (if you get the right one!) is the ability to use it as the video switching hub, able to convert different resolutions, formats etc into ones that best suit the display device.

You are not far from me - come and have a look at what can be done with plasma / scaler (but you will need to bring your own games consoles as my son only has a PS2!!)

7. JKDUK

JKDUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didnt think i deserved to be ripped that badly really did I???

Playstation - Model Number 2

XBO - Model Number X

Game - Model Number Cube

DVD 5.1 Surrond DVD Player - Model Who Knows - Is it relevant???

Why cant you just show a noob the pathway rather than running him down into the gutter (sob sob). Not like ill be bothering you again is it.

Just need some info. And if the selected TV's (Mainly the Sagem) will do the JOB at a descent rate - +++ Plan to get Sky for myself as we have dig + downstairs, when HD is released.

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    JK

Can only assume that your comment is aimed at HD rather than me - but perhaps not..! Give me a call, if we haven't fallen out.

9. JKDUK

JKDUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wasnt at you mate, anyone else got any other advice or comments regarding the Sagem vs Philips - as above???

10. dartieman

dartieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at panasonic pwd 6 or 7 all the imputs you need within your budget, i play x-box through component feed awsome, Freeview superb, know some have x-box chipped thru component and results are even better check previous threads,
    AV sales for good package and warrenty.
    I'v seen sagem with hi def input and yes impressive to look at with hi def sourse (ie ) comet had set up with provided sourse. but this is'nt what you will see when u get it home.
    There is a lot to take on board so choose wisley read previous threads,
    people on here know what they are talking about, nice offer from piers, worth thinking about

11. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    welcome to the forum!! as you can see there are different views on here - the big t.v. versus screen+separates route (the latter being the major one here). HD can get a bit cheeky sometimes, but his heart is in the right place... I have a separates hi-fi and it does sound much better than all-inone, but did'nt have the space for separates visual system, so the phillips it was......i do not have a console but others do and they rave about the picture quality, search this forum and you can see their comments. shugg
    p.s. you did say BIG t.v. and 14" might qualify somwhere else.....but not on this forum.......... :eek:

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The point was to Make you think.......to point out how much money it is and bring you down to earth... No offence intended. Now i know the modelnumbers of your Consoles... It is the DVD player surround system that is important....
    Why?
    Because its inputs and outputs will be the centre of your System whether you go RPTV or plasma, the connectivity of these bits of kit for best performance needs some thought, you would need 4 component inputs (try finding a TV with 4 component inputs..) so this is where thinking of these practicalities is needed....

I am not running you into the gutter, merely trying to increase your awareness...........

13. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    With so many different sources if you can speak to Piers and arrange to see his setup I would strongly recommend it, Piers knows his stuff. :)

One thing worth considering is that the XBOX (and I imagine PS3 when it is released) can, IIRC, output HDTV resolutions which would benefit from something like the Pioneer 435 or some other HD screen. I am not sure how much of an issue screen-burn would be though if you plan on using a plasma heavily for console work.
    LCD screens, while more expensive, more commonly support high resolutions and are pretty much immune to screen-burn but suffer somewhat on blacks and I am not too sure how they would handle the fast movement of something like HALO.

14. JKDUK

JKDUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonna go for the Sagem 8 coponent in puts :smashin: 3 just have a looky at it on the sagem site. www.sagem.com and read through the broshure, i just have.

Piers if i get the Sagem which im about 10 seconds from ordering now isnt what i want - ill probs go for Plasma then ill come up and have a look fella - if its worth the travel etc - might be a few drinks in it for ya ;)

I cant remember the model of the Sony DVD Amp that I have i can get it for you if makes a difference think it has coax? (Orange Port???)

Wish me luck!!!

Thanks for the help. Ill let you know how i get on.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    8 inputs total but only 1 component and 1 DVi which is about standard..... so connectivity still needs a fair bit of thought, I you are serious about Xbox get modded for 720p output..........