Simplicity Upgrade

Samt1

Hi all, I’ve had a quick look through the upgrade thread but can’t see anything.
I got the email from O2 yesterday with all the upgrade option but it didn’t mention Simplicity. I am currently on the 30-day iPhone Simplicity tariff and would like to stay on that but still upgrade to the iPhone 4; does anyone have any details on how that would work?

Thanks in advance
Sam.

sneeks

You would need to buy the full price PAYG handset otherwise a subsidised upgrade will force you off of simplicity and back onto a standard iPhone tariff.

Samt1

That’s what I thought would be the case, although I would of thought I could get some sort of discount of the price as I am technically on a pay monthly tariff, will have to wait and see what they say. Really don’t want to tie myself into a 2 year contract, even though I’m not going to chamge as I have my broadband with them and get a discount on that for having both.

shade_of_meta

That’s what I thought would be the case, although I would of thought I could get some sort of discount of the price as I am technically on a pay monthly tariff, will have to wait and see what they say. Really don’t want to tie myself into a 2 year contract, even though I’m not going to chamge as I have my broadband with them and get a discount on that for having both.

why would you get a discount? you're on a SIM *only* contract! Your only option is to buy the phone again at full price or go contract, a la what sneeks already said :smashin:

sneeks

You are on a sim only Simplicity tariff, by its very nature you cannot get a handset discount. This can only happen if you tie yourself into a 12/18 month contract.

Samt1

why would you get a discount? you're on a SIM *only* contract! Your only option is to buy the phone again at full price or go contract, a la what sneeks already said :smashin:

Yeah I know I'll have to pay the full amount but no harm in trying my luck when I phone up. Might have to save up some pennies! :)

wozwebs

I'm in the same boat as you. When PAYG prices are announced ilk work out what's cheaper, to go PAYG or 18 month contract

Samt1

I'm in the same boat as you. When PAYG prices are announced ilk work out what's cheaper, to go PAYG or 18 month contract

I worked it out quickly and I don't think there is much in it, I wold just rather buy the phone and then know it's mine and I'm not tied into a contract at £35, $0 a month for the next 18/24 months, at best I would agree the Simplicity for a years which makes the cost £15 instead of £20 a month

wozwebs

My only concern with getting a new contract is that they might say you need to wait for your 30 days. My monthly renewal date is the 19th of the month, with the phone coming out on the 24th it will mean I pay £20 for just 5 days.

PAYG is best best but if I recall they didn't come out till a few weeks after the contract phones.

Adam M

My only concern with getting a new contract is that they might say you need to wait for your 30 days. My monthly renewal date is the 19th of the month, with the phone coming out on the 24th it will mean I pay £20 for just 5 days.

PAYG is best best but if I recall they didn't come out till a few weeks after the contract phones.

I have already addressed this with them, and they have told me they'd allow me to move mid month and charge me pro-rata for the days I have used. They are not going to do something that restricts you from joining a contract with them just to tie you in for a max of 30 days.

jg213

Im on a "12 month Simplicity" contract at £20pm coming up for renewal in August. Do o2 do any rentension offers for people on the 12 month sim only contract? e.g. price reduction or offer reduced priced phone as a rentions offer or anything to keep you for a further 12 months?

Samt1

Im on a "12 month Simplicity" contract at £20pm coming up for renewal in August. Do o2 do any rentension offers for people on the 12 month sim only contract? e.g. price reduction or offer reduced priced phone as a rentions offer or anything to keep you for a further 12 months?

It can't hurt to ask mate, they can only say no, I'm going to say to them is there any price difference if I agree to the Simplicity for 12 months, which means the monthly cost goes down to £15 so if they do knock off a little bit will be a bonus.

rockstar6662

Glad this thread has come up. I'm on 12 month iPhone simplicity (paying £15 which suits me just fine).

I assume that if I wanted to upgrade all I'd need to do is just buy a PAYG iPhone 4 and would then be able to get the number/contract switched to the new sim, even though I still have a few months to run on the contract with the existing sim.

Or would I be stuck paying the rest of the 12 months on the existing contract?

Quite happy with my 3GS but like the idea of part of the case on the iPhone 4 being the aerial. Might help with signal detection amongst other features.

roxyskinflint

well im on month to month simplicity have been since march, ive got a buyer for 3g for £200 but doubt i can afford the extra cash up front to buy a PAYG, so ill be going for another 18 or 24 month contract

sneeks

Glad this thread has come up. I'm on 12 month iPhone simplicity (paying £15 which suits me just fine).

I assume that if I wanted to upgrade all I'd need to do is just buy a PAYG iPhone 4 and would then be able to get the number/contract switched to the new sim, even though I still have a few months to run on the contract with the existing sim.

Yes they will transfer your number onto the micro-sim and your contract will continue as normal.

mykl1971

Novice Member
I have a question on behalf of an unregistered workmate, apologies if it's a silly one!

He's currently on 30-day rolling Simplicity, was previously on an 18-month contract. He wants to go back to an 18-month deal for the iPhone 4.

Do you think he'll be able to move his phone number/details etc. over to a Micro SIM painlessly and without a break in service?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom