1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Wireless Network ?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by deaf cat, May 5, 2005.

1. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hiya,

Can you help with simple step by step instructions to set up a wireless network? :rolleyes:

Would I be right in saying I need:
    - Wireless network card for laptop,
    - Network card for Desk top that plugs into
    - a wireless Router

Plug it all in and XP should sort it all out ?
    Then any additions to the set up will just need a wireless card of somesort.

I think I am after "g" but what about this Pre-N multi arial Gear ?

Any help / direction much appreciated

Cheers

PS aim is get scanner/printer/storage/backup all in one place accesssable by laptop and by Squeezebox

2. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    You could go for an AD HOC configuration that needs only 2 wireless cards.

1 wireless pcmcia card for the laptop
    1 wireless Pci card for the main PC

You need to enable AD Hoc in the card config and create a home network using XP if you want to share an internet connection.

Stick with the common technologies ie 54 or 108 G as this will provide the best compatibility!

Hope that helps you!

3. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sounds good to me, and the squeezebox would just add on yes.

Is it just larger networks that need a router then?

Ah me desk top already has a network card, would this plug into a router or do you think it would be better to chuck it and get a wireless card ?

Cheers, I think I will stick to the 54/108G as staying compatible sounds as if it may be easier to get things talking.

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Interested in this, I thought you needed a wireless router to transmit the wi-fi to be picked up by the other receivers?

I do know that you can get USB2 wifi receivers/dongles which can be a cheaper and easier solution, particularly for laptops or PC's that are short on PCI slots.

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +753
    "Interested in this, I thought you needed a wireless router to transmit the wi-fi to be picked up by the other receivers?"

You don't need a wireless router or AP if you just require simple or basic peer-to-peer networking.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    but in the peer to peer config the server PC has to be on (to share printing internet etc) no ideal if you have 6 laptops at home................

7. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Yes both PC,s will have to be obviously on to talk to each other and share resources!

You can keep the network card (NIC) as this can connect you to a broadband connection and yes also a router.

squeezebox?

What exactly is this?

8. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    True, but the question was about wireless networking so surely a router or access point is needed to start off the wireless(ness)?

9. yoyoman

yoyoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience it is better to have a wireless router so it can be moved around to give a better reception, rather than the antenna attached to the back of a card no doubt shoved in a corner somewhere. Also as far as I am aware most 802.11g cards will only operate at 11Mbs and not 54Mbs when set as peer to peer. If you can afford it go for the router option it will offer you better flexibility in the future.

10. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Just to help my learning here - are you saying that it is possible to set up a wireless network between two pc's using just, say 2 of these and then you could set up Internet Connection Sharing, the same as if two pc's were connected by a crossover cable? If so, would it also work with two of these . So wireless network connectivity could be established without a router or access point, but speed and range may be compromised?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Exactly. I'm not sure about the USB dongles as i have no expeirience with them but two devices with wireless can make a peer to peer network. If your wanting to share an internet connection then its easier to use a router.

12. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use two USB dongles and a PCI network card for my three PC's and a wireless router.

The dongles are great for quickness and mine virtually set themselves up (it is suprisingly easy). I think they are about £20 - 25 each these days.

XP will take care of everything (via the network wizard) so long as you don't do what I did and assumed you had to create a disk and insert it in each machine. You don't need to do that but the wizard didn't make it clear (not to me anyway).

If you buy 54g dongles, check that they are up to that speed everytime you log on because quite often, they'll be on the slower speed of 11mbs. Which reading the earlier posting of yoyoman, could actually mean they are communicating with each other and not through the router. Hadn't considered that before so best look at my set up again (thanks yoyoman).

The beauty of using a router is that when you connect up a broadband service to it, you can surf from any machine that's switched on.... and I have to confess to a boyish chuckle when I got my printer shared and printed a doc from another room :D little things please little minds eh? :)

13. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    This is all very interesting.... so how does this all fit in to using Media Center Extenders (when they become available this summer) to stream live tv, recorded tv, and other media, wirelessly to other rooms in the house - bandwidth will be an issue I guess... or should we worrry about this when it happens, hardware prices may have dropped by then....

14. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know Lisa, I've been asking myself the same thing. There were two reasons for me creating a home network.

The first was purely out of interest but also backed up by trying to get rid of the lead between my phone point and modem (too lazy to just run a bl**dy extension lead around the skirting board like everyone else).

The other reason was to be able to share media files and watch/listen to them in each room (I decided that to include the bathroom was just too decadant :) ). In other words, exactly what these media extenders promise to do.

Except they are not available yet and this wireless stuff is. I guess a lot will depend, as you say on bandwidth and my system is still in the evolutionary stage for me to judge it's real worth yet.

I suspect though that the media extenders will be less hassle and less obtrusive than having loads of PC's everywhere.

Anyone want to buy a wireless set up? :)

15. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    I have just been doing a bit of research on The Green Button website (busy day at work :rolleyes: ) and extenders seem to be plagued with problems. Looks like they are very fussy about the wireless protocols they support, I think you can only have 1 wireless one connected to the network at any one time, (and the bathroom is a MUST for media). Reports of choppy playback on certain freeview channels, and they don't support .avi files, or ripped vob files :eek: sounds like its going to be a while before these are really useful in the UK.

I agree that building and maintaining another pc just to have some film/tv playback for the bedroom sounds overkill.

How about one of those AV senders, I wonder if I could transmit the Media Centre audio video and remote functionality to the bedroom that way?

16. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A router is simply a device that bridges networks (from your local LAN to the Internet typically). Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is effectively a software router that sits on one of your PCs, making that PC act as a router.

So ... yes, you can use just two (or more) Wi-Fi devices and set up a perfectly usable network in ad-hoc (peer to peer) mode. You would then need to use one of your machines as a router and set it up for ICS. This machine then needs to be on to provide internet access to the network as a whole.

Most people would recommend going for a hardware router however for a number of reasons:
    1. You don't need to keep the ICS machine turned on.
    2. You don't take a performance hit on the ICS machine as it handles all your internet traffic.
    3. You've got a central, more secure (and non-Windows :) ) place for handling security, firewalling and so forth.
    4. Your network has twice the range (50m any direction from a central router, giving a 100m diameter rather than no two machines being more than 50m apart in an ad-hoc).
    Hope that helps!

17. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Very much, thankyou, I learnt something new today... :thumbsup:

Now, any ideas on how to wirelessly transmit the live tv and media files from my media center in the downstairs lounge to my upstairs bedroom without building a second pc?

(effectively a third pc because I have my main PC as the ICS router in my downstairs dining room)

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    can do media files with a device for £35 not live TV tho.............but a £30 FV box will sort that.........................

19. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Yeah? What £35 device... I do have a FV box in the bedroom but it is a bit old and crap... but it does work.

20. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    To add my tuppence worth.

I have now gone for the mimo routers (pre n) as have experienced wifi black spots in the home not 20 ft from the router. These are backward compatable and more reliable as well.
    My thoughts and plenty will disagree

John

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Linksys WMA11B from Ebuyer, nearly bought one my self but it requiress the PC to be on which for me is a big No No :nono:
    http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=314 a few on ebay if you are skint but wont save you very much intotal over ebuyer

22. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Thanks Horny, will explore and for £35 I don't mind experimenting :thumbsup:

...aah, hang on, it doesn't support video files does it, just pictures and music - I particularly want it for recorded tv and .avi files :thumbsdow

Johnelf - what is a mimo router?

23. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MIMO - Multiple input / multiple output.
    They are the latest generation of wireless routers. Basically they have a number of aerials for sending and receiving wireless signals. Aparently, they can send at a higher speed and at a greater distance than conventional wireless technologies (802.11b/g).
    I have such a device, the Belkin Pre-n router (so called because after 802.11b & g the next devices will be n, but as the protocol has yet to be finalised, they are callingthem Pre-n). As it's my first dabble with wireless networking I can't comment as to how good it actually is.
    What I can say though is that I often loose my internet connection, but that could be down to the modem.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    in that case there is the Pinnacle Show centre which does that but i couldn't find much detail on it and it looks expensive (£200ish new)........http://www.askdirect.co.uk/search/Pinnacle_ShowCentre.html
    and a review here http://www.homecomputermagazine.com/nb/Home Computer Magazine 02.pdf but it looks like its a coule of years old (may get one S/H tho)
    OK didnt look very hard (price put me off) but here is the latest one http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=2656&Langue_ID=7

25. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Showcentre in the review is the 1000g. The review was published Dec 2004. You can get it for about £150 delivered from Ebuyer or Dabs. The latest one (Showcetre 200) has HD support for video & photos. I can't seem to find anymore info on it either (or anyhwere that sells it). I'm assuming it is still very new.

I bought a Neuston MC-500 for £170, which does pretty much the same thing. I'm not at all impressed with the operating system and GUI though.

26. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hello,

Intresting talk going on and learning bits here there and everywhere.

So to understand things so far with the wireless network, for 2 pc's and a squeezebox*
    It may be best to have a router as this would allow 54g which I believe the sbox works with, where as the add hoc would anly allow 11g - I guess the sbox would still be able to talk to the pc it needed but transfers would be at 11 rather than 54 ?

Going down the router route for a mo, would this plug into the desktop via the desk tops network card with a cable (not crossover) - (Already have a n/w card installed so thought may as well use it). Hence the music files on the desk top can then be accesed by the sbox wirelessly via the router. If the desk top is off the laptop can access the internet providing the router is on.

Can anyone see problems occuring if the desk top is win98 and the laptop XP and the sbox is whatever it is ??

*Squeezebox - connects wirelessly(or wired) to pc, music files stored on pc. The squeezebox calls up and pushes whatever you wish to listen to into your AVamp or stereo - having its own remote , and no noisy pc's in the lounge / music room.

Lisa - have you looked at the AV transmitters such as digisender, I think phillips do something also. Plug in your DVD, video, or whatever you have I suppose a video card form a pc would also work? scarts, phonos red/white/yellow, and it transmits pic and sound to a digisender-receiver which you plug into your tv in the betroom or stereo in the shed for example.

I have enough trouble with pc's as it is so thought I would just stick to music transfers, and some sort of simple wireless network which is slowly becomming something I may be able to attempt setting up myself.............

Thanks for all the useful chat so far and look forward to hearing more
    Cheers

27. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Hi deaf cat,

Yes, I have enjoyed this thread so far, I am going to try and pick up a pc sender and have a play with that first, before attempting a wi-fi set-up. I started another thread about this to see if anyone else had got this working, and luckily someone has and pointed me in the right direction.

For your situation I may be tempted to try an ad-hoc network first and see what results you get, as you still need to buy the same hardware, but can then add a router later if the speed and range is not good enough. If the squeeze box has a built in wi-fi adapter then you only need to add one PCI or USB wi-fi adapter to your network and I think in theory you should be away...

And, yes you should be able to network a Win 98 machine to an XP machine but I think it is easier if they are both XP.