1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple, which £1000 26 inch LCD to buy

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by CHRISDOW, Apr 7, 2005.

1. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have on order the Toshiba 27WL46 which I am now slightly regretting after reading that it isnt an upgrade to the 26WL46 which i thought it was.

I can cancel this order if someone can recommend a different set.

I have approx £750 to spend (online prices)

Pls help asap.

I aint too fussed about HDTV as I doubt I can afford a large enuff set for it to be in the spec.

Also, 2 scarts are a must as I have vcr, dvd, playstation 2 and my surround sound which all use scarts!!

Cheers

Chris

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  3. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Read this review, the Samsung (LW26A33W) is the Editor's choice. Its around £800 from Web electricals.

4. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all.

Chris

5. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Bear in mind that the LW26A33W is 15:9

6. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered the Acer, seemed to get great reviews/oppinions on here, so with my limited budget, seemed a great option.

Will post my thoughts when I get it, hopefully delivered tomorrow.

Cheers all

Chris

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes let us now what you think about the Acer, I for one am pondering this unit.

8. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the money i am not expecting spectacular performance, altho as I said, everything I have read about these - the 26 and 32 inch variants, have been very very positive.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    Why not pop down to Sainsbury's, with GBP499.99 in your hand?

10. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of the 2 Sainsburys near me have the £499 sets, so i had to plump for the Acer.

11. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have got the 26 inch Acer set up, not impressed at all, not very sharp, gran turismo on my playstation2 is awful, dvds look loike the pirate copies you get, and any writing on the screen is not poorly defined, even witht the sharpness turned right to the max.

Overall, not good at all, so it seems with most things, you get what yo upay for.

Already packed away in the box ready to be sent back for refund.

I didnt know what to expect from an LCD tv to be honest, but when I put on Toy Story 2 and Con Air, it just didnt seem all that good, even compared to my Bush non flat screen 28inch w/screen, that is 5 yrs old now.

Normal tv is poor, and thru my freeview box, also pics were poor.

Now, can anyone recommend a decent 20inch for the same sort of cash? £5-700.

Chris

12. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have just purchased the SHARP LC32GA5 and very impressed i am too.
    The 26'' version should be available online for around £700-£750
    (no HD digital connection but 2 scarts - 1 x RGB)
    It looks excellent with decent quality bitrate channels on SKY and DVD looks stunning (I haven't tried Toy Story yet, but Monsters Inc looked lovely!)
    :smashin:

13. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into that set.

Chris

14. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the 26in Acer.

Their seems to be some contradictory reports on this unit which is probably understandable as this is quite new technology,many people are perfectly happy with this LCD TV and thats what confuses me.

I was like GrahamC and others who is or probably isn't now thinking about about purchasing this set,although i am undecided on what to buy.

15. FullFat

FullFat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I bought the Acer for the bedroom last week and can only say it is fantastic. For this price the performance is something else. When I first hooked it up it took about 20 minutes to make sure that all the feeds and the TV were set on the same type of input (at first I was disappointed until I realised what was going on!).

Once this was done it was as good as I could have imagined.

Maybe people expect too much of a sub £600 lcd. It's not as good as my Panasonic Viera Plasma but it is less than a third of the cost and so much simpler to set up!

16. steelee

steelee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a LG RZ26LZ50 which is very good, although the built in speakers are a bit naff

17. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fullfat,

Thats what i've been reading lots of good comments on the the Acer, now am tempted again to buy one.

18. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might have been hasty in my decision to send it back, altho I still have it at home at the moment. I just thought pics on the dvd Toy Story would have been so much sharper, the purple of Buzz Lightyears head was covered in dots, and was sort of bleeding, vcr pics thru a scart lead were pretty poor compared to even my old CRT Bush tv !! And while playing Con Air, it looked like a pirate copy of the film,

So, b4 I take the plunge and send it back, are there any other settings to pla with? I had the contrast, colour, sharpness all around halfway.

Also, whilst playing Gran Turismo 4, i played with the settings, but found no decent setting to even compare this to my other halfs dads Philips 32inch CRT, the graphics on there looked amazing, all writing was super clear too.

Overall tho, bit disappointed, even if it was only £600

I would rather have picture quality on a smaller screen I think

Cheers

Chris

19. spoonboy30

spoonboy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what connections are you using - does the LCD have component/RGB inputs - if so, use them as LCDs like good source signals and usually struggle with normal composite sources (getting very obvious dot-crawl/ blurring/ loss of detail) without picture processing which has its own undesirable effects

i got a component cable for my PS2 and the picture quality on my Sharp 26GA4E is now outstanding (way better than using the standard composite cable which looked worse than on my old CRT) - Pro Evolution now has never looked so good!

Also make sure the sharpness is not turned up to the max in the screens settings - makes pictures seem way to harsh and shows up all imperfections in the source signal and the screens internal scaling - try some things with the sharpness turned down to half or lower and things may start to look better

hope this helps

20. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers I think I will take it out of the box later and have another fiddle.

I was using scart for dvd player and my freeview box, normal cable for my PS2, not sure what that is called tho.

I thought I had tried all the settings, just getting worried that I wont be able to return it for refund if I take too long in deciding!

Chris

21. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Try going into Advanced picture settings and turning Movie Comp to 'ON' if it isn't already and be amazed by another jump up in quality.

22. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Agreed. I have had this setting on since day one. It really does give the picture and excellent look & feel.
    I mentioned in a previous thread that i have only ever seen this effect on a Loewe CRT TV - images just look very 'live'. Brilliant...:smashin:

23. CHRISDOW

CHRISDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried it, still poor pics, especially straight lines, ie table edges, they are so jagged, and writing is very very poor, no clarity, fuzzy edges.

Is this normal for LCD, or have I got a faulty set. I did notice that the screen flickered light to dark slightly every couple of seconds, and there are 3 beams of light at the bottom of the screen. It is going back faulty, but do i get another to try out?

Chris