• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Simple TV -> Speaker question

crazylegs

Novice Member
Hi all, long time listener, first time caller.

I've been searching on the net for a while (and the search function in this forum) and haven't been able to solve this, i'm hoping someone that is hifi savvy can answer this really quick!

I have one of these Panasonic Viera 4K LED TV TH-55CX700Z | Panasonic New Zealand and am looking at getting some kind of sound system, preferably a sound bar.

The catch is, I have a wall mounted TV, and a single HDMI cable in the wall that is connected to a PS3 (which i use as a dvd player etc). Is there any way i can hook up a new sound bar to the TV, and also be able to use the PS3?

I have got an unopened one of these Samsung's Shape M7 is a sweet-sounding Sonos alternative. My understanding is that they can only hook up to samsung TVs via bluetooth. I'll probably just sell this to help pay for some kind of soundbar for the tv.

the soundbar i am looking at is this Panasonic 500 Watt Soundbar & Wireless Subwoofer - Home Theatre System - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!

So, I guess my questions are:

- is there any way of using the Samsung m7 in this situation? if not:
- can the panasonic htb880-gnk be connected to the tv wirelessly?
- is there any way i can utilize the panasonic htb880-gnk in my situation (i.e. one hdmi cable from the wall, and still want access to the ps3).

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

thanks!

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
The Samsung has a 3.5mm aux in, so if the t.v. has a headphone output (which is usually a 3.5mm output) they can be connected that way and leave the ps3 connected as is

Panasonic htb880-gnk:
It looks as though you can connect the ps3 to the panny hdmi input then hdmi out to the TV. Same fashion as if it was a AVR.

arb70sok

I reckon that Don Dadda has nailed it for you there.
In our house we use a PS4 with a Panasonic Viera, but a much older one than yours and we don't have a soundbar.

I use the optical out (Toslink) on the PS4 into a pre-amp and configure the PS4 accordingly.
So the video from the PS4 goes to the Panasonic Viera but the audio goes to the HiFi.
Works well, but usually I put the TV speakers right down and only use the HiFi speakers in this mode.

I think that Don Dadda's idea is the better one for your scenario but just to illustrate there are different ways to skin a cat depending on inputs/outputs available on the devices you choose.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom