Simple speaker desired-to complement "leetle" tweeters in television w/killer picture

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DelsFan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. DelsFan

DelsFan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got loads of (superior) two-channel audio equipment, and have set up several surround systems for friends. But here is my problem:

A couple of years ago I got my Mom a 60" Sony XBR2 television set (the one with the dumbo ears). This, so I'd have something good to watch when at "home" on business, and so she would have use of it all the time. The problem is, whenever there is anything on that involves music I "have" to go to a friend's house to (be satisfied) hear anything below about 1000Hz! (OK, maybe I exaggerate, but not much.)

What I "need" is a simple add-on speaker, one that sounds just half to three quarters like real music. I'm thinking a self-powered speaker that would sit under the television, maybe one with a 5" midrange and 8" subwoofer. Well, at 8", nearly a subwoofer - but at 8" at least it could easily (inexpensively) be both quick and musical. If it could reproduce (accurately) sounds down to 80 or 100 Hz, that would be a significant improvement and quite sufficient. And by simple I mean a speaker that would plug into a wall outlet for power and receive a signal through one patch cord connected to an audio out jack on the television (and have one volume knob with which to initially balance the sound with the television speakers), and that be the end of it.

No center channel, no rear or side speakers - just one complimentary speaker to provide anything resembling a full spectrum of sound/music. [Overkill (useful overkill) to me would be having two 5" speakers in the cabinet, one on each side of the 8" speaker. This to perhaps preserve the stereo signal available from the television.]

Now, many would say this would only serve a niche market. However, what percentage of flat panel television owners do you think have surround systems (or sound bars, which are not full range but seriously better than nothing) and what percentage do you think are listening to nothing but the two leetle tweeters that came with their television (the one that is producing a superior picture but has, nearly, no sound)? I'd be pretty surprised if more than 20% of flat panel owners were in the first category. So, the only question (and a fair one) is: what percentage of the no-speakers-added crowd give a darn about having better sound?

1) Is this any kind of an idea, or am I looking for a product that would suit twenty or thirty people as opposed to twenty or thirty percent of the market?

2) Has anyone ever heard of such a product?

I've been thinking of this (translation: I've been dissatisfied) for two years now - I'll be glad to hear any of your opinions!

2. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    The poor sound (in some cases un-usable IMHO) of some flat panel TVs has always bothered me. My friend went and kitted himself out with a 26" LCD (tiny speakers) and a DVD recorder. Sometimes voices would be hard to understand (sounded distant) and music was so poor that he was going to try and take the TV back.

I mentioned that the sound from flat panels is often poor and not peculiar to his model and offered him my old PC speakers. The difference is astounding.

I would suggest a reasonable PC speaker system plugged into the headphone jack (if it has one). That way the crappy TV speakers are swtched off and the remote for the TV still controls the volume. He was lucky that the headphone socket was recessed behind a panel on the side of the TV so the cable isn't even visable.

This is not "Hi-Fi" but it is more than "adequate" ("adequate" means: better than "half to three quarters like real music") for most people and a massive improvement for very little cost.

Note: there are several 2.1 speaker systems for PCs that sound exactly like your description so yes, I've heard of a product that meets your description.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    MicroMart did a group test of PC speakers this week:

1st : Creative Gigaworks T40
    2nd: Logitech X-230 2.1

Chris

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Have a look Genelec they do some nice active monitors 6010 or 6020 might be the ticket they are active so would connect to the line level out on the TV i would suggest turning off the TV's speakers tho