Simple setup for a small-ish media room.

Synomenon

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I've setup a small room in my house as a media room. It has a Samsung UN65MU8000 TV, some video game consoles and today, one of my coworkers gave me their unused Oppo UDP-203.

When setting up this media room, I went with Kanto YU6 bookshelf speakers and the matching subwoofer (Kanto Sub8) over a soundbar.
YU6 Powered Speakers | Kanto Audio
SUB8 Powered Subwoofer | Kanto Audio

The speakers are connected directly to the TV's optical output. Overall I'm happy with the audio I'm getting from the speakers and sub. and I have a Logitech Harmony that can control all of it.

Now that I have an Oppo UDP-203 though, would it be worth returning the Kanto speakers and sub. and getting a Samsung HW-K850 Dolby Atmos soundbar instead? I'm still within the return period and the Samsung actually would be slightly more than the Kanto setup.
www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/home-theater/sound-bars/hw-k850-soundbar-w--dolby-atmos-hw-k850-za/

It looks like the Oppo supports Atmos and DTS:X AND HDMI ARC + CEC.

Last edited:
Other than installing the Soundbar you will never know.

Is the media room room an ideal environment for the Soundbar to do its stuff?

Connecting the BD Player to the Soundbar you are effectively 'listening' to the Soundbar not the BD Player!

Joe

Not sure how to determine if the room is ideal for the soundbar. I didn't see anything regarding that in the manual for it that's available online. All I saw was a recommendation on where to position the sub-woofer.

I guess I'll just stick with the Kanto bookshelf speakers + sub. that I have already.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom